Issue: Zigbee limited range

Nope, still the same constraint. How long do I need to wait before the contraint is removed ?

Hi, I have replaced my legacy 433 coco network with a bi-directional mesh. It consists of a coordinator, 20 tuya devices, a mix of power plugs,

dimmers and switches

this is my network (quite well developed I would say):

ll devices are mains powered and routers (no endpoints).

Issue is that the range of the network is still very limited. As soon as the coordinator does not have reach to the device the connection is lost. In the network devices with a LQI of 40 do not have connection and items which are 5 cm located from each other are not connected:

For instance BBQ and TableLights give error 102, while TV is working fine. TV and BBQ have 50 cm distance.
GardenLights gives:

BBQ gives not connected:

…see other post for remaining part of the post (due to moderation, this is my final reply…)

Thanks for the posts, please answer @Edwin_D 's questions - they relate to most common Zigbee issues.

Additionally what’s the distance between a failing node and the nearest mains powered node, and what’s the distance between that node and the coordinator?

Due to another limitation that prevents me to reply again… herewith the rest of my message. Happy moderation !!

Reconfiguring switch give binding problems

Can you guys give your expert opinion about this state of affairs? I’m wondering what I miss because I can’t believe that the mesh is fake and my Zigbee setup is in fact a hub and spoke model.

Futhermore which Linux tools exist to analyse and debug the network in detail.

Regards !

Yes, did a lot of research and did all that already. I wonder which tools I can use to debug and test my mesh in details to find the root cause. Would be nice to see which route each message takes and where the root cause is…

Regrettable I don’t think this is built into the protocol. I still think interference is the most likely cause. May not even be wifi, it is a crowded frequency range. Did you try other zigbee channels? Are the switches in places between potential sources, are dimmers burried in walls?

Did you read this :

1 Like

Thanks. I currently created an SD with Domoticz and installed the D4Z plugin since that gives much more detailed information under the hood. However in that plugin the mesh is not shown.

I don’t feel that the issue is with noise or interference. I shut down all 2.4Ghz sources, switched channel to 11 and use an extension cable and the same issue persists. I suspect it has something to do with the coordinator or the router devices that prevent hopping of the messages.

ps: these messages I got for 24 hours :-), annoying as a broomstick between the buttocks

I understand your frustrations but you really should clean up your language.

1 Like

Hi @NathanCu, I only have mains powered router nodes, no endpoints. The distance is 3 meter. I have ordered another, Tuya based coordinator to rule out Zigbee 3.0 implementation differences.

That coordinator has a less than optimal antenna. And you better flash recent firmware on it.
Better use a Sonoff Dongle Plus P or E.

1 Like

I read that a sonoff dongle does not work well with Tuya devices: Can Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 Plus USB Dongle be a Hub for Tuya Smart Life App

Do you think that is an issue since the mesh network consists of nodes that are maximum of 5 meter apart

As long as you ZHA, this Can Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 Plus USB Dongle be a Hub for Tuya Smart Life App is not an issue. I have plenty of Tuya devices in my Zigbee network using a CC2652.
It is only a problem if you want to use the Smartlife App, but why would you want to use a Cloud service with Zigbee ?

Yes, fully agree. I’m currently using bellows to debug further. Now running into another problem.

sudo bellows -b 115200 -d ‘/dev/ttyUSB0’ info
results in:
[e0:e9:dd:ee:fe:a2:53:a3]
[0x0000]
[<EmberNetworkStatus.JOINED_NETWORK: 2>]
[<EmberStatus.SUCCESS: 0>, <EmberNodeType.COORDINATOR: 1>, EmberNetworkParameters(extendedPanId=e0:e9:dd:ee:fe:a2:53:a3, panId=0x704c, radioTxPower=20, radioChannel=11, joinMethod=<EmberJoinMethod.USE_MAC_ASSOCIATION: 0>, nwkManagerId=0x0000, nwkUpdateId=1, channels=<Channels.ALL_CHANNELS: 134215680>)]
[<EmberStatus.SUCCESS: 0>, EmberCurrentSecurityState(bitmask=<EmberCurrentSecurityBitmask.TRUST_CENTER_USES_HASHED_LINK_KEY|64|32|HAVE_TRUST_CENTER_LINK_KEY|GLOBAL_LINK_KEY: 244>, trustCenterLongAddress=e0:e9:dd:ee:fe:a2:53:a3)]
Manufacturer:
Board name:
EmberZNet version: 6.10.3.0 build 297

But: sudo bellows -b 115200 -d ‘/dev/ttyUSB0’ devices
results in an infinite loop

I used to Ziggbee2MQTT to analyse the zigbee network. It turned out that the radio of the TS011F Tuya devices and shoe-string budget Aliexpress radio have a very low power output, with a range of about 5 meters (without obstacles). @francisp per your advice I have bought a Sonos Dongle-E. Futhermore per advice on inet I have bought a set of Ikea repeaters and a few Ikea Power plugs to connect the Tuya devices. So problem solved.

ps: infinite loop was caused by a parallel process that locked the /dev/tty* interface.

1 Like