Issue: Zigbee limited range

I read that a sonoff dongle does not work well with Tuya devices: Can Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 Plus USB Dongle be a Hub for Tuya Smart Life App

Do you think that is an issue since the mesh network consists of nodes that are maximum of 5 meter apart

As long as you ZHA, this Can Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 Plus USB Dongle be a Hub for Tuya Smart Life App is not an issue. I have plenty of Tuya devices in my Zigbee network using a CC2652.
It is only a problem if you want to use the Smartlife App, but why would you want to use a Cloud service with Zigbee ?

Yes, fully agree. Iā€™m currently using bellows to debug further. Now running into another problem.

sudo bellows -b 115200 -d ā€˜/dev/ttyUSB0ā€™ info
results in:
[e0:e9:dd:ee:fe:a2:53:a3]
[0x0000]
[<EmberNetworkStatus.JOINED_NETWORK: 2>]
[<EmberStatus.SUCCESS: 0>, <EmberNodeType.COORDINATOR: 1>, EmberNetworkParameters(extendedPanId=e0:e9:dd:ee:fe:a2:53:a3, panId=0x704c, radioTxPower=20, radioChannel=11, joinMethod=<EmberJoinMethod.USE_MAC_ASSOCIATION: 0>, nwkManagerId=0x0000, nwkUpdateId=1, channels=<Channels.ALL_CHANNELS: 134215680>)]
[<EmberStatus.SUCCESS: 0>, EmberCurrentSecurityState(bitmask=<EmberCurrentSecurityBitmask.TRUST_CENTER_USES_HASHED_LINK_KEY|64|32|HAVE_TRUST_CENTER_LINK_KEY|GLOBAL_LINK_KEY: 244>, trustCenterLongAddress=e0:e9:dd:ee:fe:a2:53:a3)]
Manufacturer:
Board name:
EmberZNet version: 6.10.3.0 build 297

But: sudo bellows -b 115200 -d ā€˜/dev/ttyUSB0ā€™ devices
results in an infinite loop

I used to Ziggbee2MQTT to analyse the zigbee network. It turned out that the radio of the TS011F Tuya devices and shoe-string budget Aliexpress radio have a very low power output, with a range of about 5 meters (without obstacles). @francisp per your advice I have bought a Sonos Dongle-E. Futhermore per advice on inet I have bought a set of Ikea repeaters and a few Ikea Power plugs to connect the Tuya devices. So problem solved.

ps: infinite loop was caused by a parallel process that locked the /dev/tty* interface.

1 Like