Issues closed without any action from devs

Hello
Do you know that issues on GitHub are being closed for stalling after a month and a week?

Do you really think it’s anyhow helpful to anyone/anything to close issues without fixing them? How it helps HomeAssistant as a platform?

Do you know it’s frustrating for reporters and shows disrespect to them? Besides a reporter has to cope with those issues at first, he does his work, spend time to at least report properly, which is often preceded by lot of digging, debugging, trying to find as much information as possible.

And you let the system just cancel the issue without any action?
I’m speechless.

BTW how to resurrect this issue? Note this is bug in core integration

Closing stale issues is a common triage strategy when the number of issues exceeds the time available to work on them.

If you are concerned about an issue don’t let it go stale.

Open a new issue.

3 Likes

Yes, we know :wink:

I’ll tell you that PR’s are, too, which is even more frustrating considering the time that has to be spent just to adhere to requirements left and right.

As for issues/PR being auto-closed, you are given an 8 day forewarning that the issue will be closed due to inactivity. Just commenting at that time resets the timer.

Really? common? For who? It doesn’t fix issues. It doesn’t decide this issue is less important. There are multiplicity of reasons why the issue isn’t picked up and it must not be severity of the issue.
Automated system cannot make right decision. A month is way not enough to even guess it might be already solved by subsequent development. A year could be… so so.
And 8 days is too few for reaction (regardless IMO it’s pointless to force reporter to ping the issue every several weeks).

Anyway, what’s wrong with collecting all those issues in the backlog? Anyone is ashamed of such an amount of issues?

BTW The bigger HA is, the more issues will be created (especially observing current development strategy). It means the more and more issues will be just canceled without even reviewing them. Reporting issues then loosing it’s sense. It’s waste of time (one can say it will improve HA quality by fewer amount of reported issues)

Not going to happen considering it’s not possible to create an issue with just a link to previous one (because bot will close it as incomplete).

1 Like

Maybe this will help you ?

Because issues actually become obsolete as the project progresses.
I mean, for a project as active as HA, an issue dating from 1 year ago is like opening an issue related to Windows 95 :slight_smile:

It doesn’t help that the “google” integration doesn’t have a code owner / maintainer.
In that case, it’s likely very low on the core devs priorities, if any of them actually use the integration.

But yeah, there is an organization issue, because, by experience, even if you submit a PR to fix the issue yourself, it might very well follow the same route because core devs wouldn’t review the PR either.

1 Like

Thank you. I have no problem with processing those data. I just reporting that core integration doesn’t follow standards set for HA

so if there are a “solution” to your issue, and Dev-team is chocked … and maybe there are other “specific” issues in the core, that also have to be changed, to “convert” into your desired needs … i think maybe “time” will solved that

I feel I don’t understand your recent answer.
Those are not my needs. It’s about standards required by other HA core components.

ok, so i guess (just a guess) that Dev is “working” on these components, to “adapt” … i really don’t know, having bump into any issues, yet, thou i don’t use Google calendar, or no other calendars, and maybe i just haven’t paid any attentions to the "missing T divider ( guess that’s why i haven’t experienced any issues)

edit: im wrong, i do use “calendars”, when looking at history, log-files, sqlite-web, grafana, influx etc, and sqlite-web don’t seems to have the T in “overview” … maybe that starts to anoy me now :slight_smile:

not only T is missing. Timezone is missing too.

That i stumble into, don’t remember where, maybe in initial setup, or “creating” Zone(but not using it in any automation’s), that would/could be a higher prioritized issue, in my opinion.

edit: Maybe i notice that im running homeassistant os, in VM, not in Container or Supervised ( this might “disqualifies” my opinions, and solutions in this matter … don,t even remember if it was in my “Supervised”, or current VM i’ve stumbled into an “issue” with Timezone

edit2: Button-line in my “perspective” is " If i can fix it, it’s not an issue" it’s just a “.” in a never perfect world

No it’s not an issue anymore. It’s cancelled issue by a bot.

Sorry, maybe me who confuse “Topics” with “issues” , i have to learn(be more warm) in here, clicking “topics” that might be relevant to me … thou auto-closed or closed-by-dev(for what ever reason, is per definition an action

I understand your frustration; I kept an issue open for over two years and it was never resolved. The bug still exists but it probably affects very few users; it wasn’t a hill worth fighting for so I moved on.

I’m not frustrated because it’s left not done. I am because it disappears from list of reported issues without serious reason. Actually without even looking at this.
Not enough resources or low severity doesn’t justify closing the issue.
After that there is no chance such an issue will be ever picked up. No developer goes through closed issues just to find those untouched. Closed is considered done. It’s so simple that I’m asking myself why am I wasting time over here.

Got it, so topic/issue is that … "Dev’s definition for their auto-bot should be “revised” or in fact, they should not have an “auto-bot”

1 Like

Busy people

If it’s important, it will come back up

Those are so pointless arguments that not worth further explanation