Issues since upgrading HA from 2023.3.0 to 2023.5.4

So I upgraded from Home Assistant 2023.3.0 to 2023.5.4 this week and I’ve been seeing some strange issues.

First some background:

• Home Assistant runs as a VM on my QNAP, using the standard Home Assistant OS image.
  • ESP#1 - NodeMCU-32S
  • ESP#2 - TTGO T-Display

The sequence of events:

• ESPHome devices (2022.12.3) and Home Assistant (2023.3.0) have been working for months with no issue.
  • I upgrade HA from 2023.3.0 to 2023.5.4
  • ESP#2 starts only updating sensor values in HA intermittently (see screenshot#1 below).
  • ESP#1 continues to work with no issues.
  • Tried restarting HA and ESPs numerous times with no joy.
  • 24h+ later, the issue with ESP#2 is still ongoing.
  • Upgraded my ESPHome installation from 2022.12.3 to 2023.5.5
  • Installed updated firmware to ESP#2 and the issues fixed themselves. Sensors start reporting as expected (again, see the screenshot#1 below)
  • Now, wanting to try to keep everything on similar versions I upgrade ESP#1.
  • ESP#1 starts having the same intermittent sensor issues as ESP#2 had before upgrading.

Logs showing disconnect errors in ESPHome

Errors in HA log file

Last time I had this issue was when encryption was released and passwords were depreciated. I had to delete all 42 of my ESP devices from home assistant. Restart Home Assistant (important!) and then add them all back again. This resolved all connection issues.

If you do this you will loose any customisations to devices you have made using the Device GUI. You will not lose any history as the recreated entity_id’s will be the same. You may have issues if you use device triggers, conditions or actions (don’t use them).

Thanks for the suggestion.

I just tried that. At first look it doesn’t appear to be working but I’ll give it some time and see.

Hmm. Not sure it will help then. My issue resolved as soon as I re-added the ESP devices.

Thanks for trying :slight_smile:

I’ve left it running for the last hour and it’s still having the same issue.

So I resolved this. The issue was that my Home Assistant VM had the wrong subnet mask configured /24 instead of /22. Not quite sure why this was causing it to intermittently work but at least it appears to be solved now.

1 Like