Issues With Eaton RF9640 3 Way Z Wave Dimmer

Hi all. I replaced a dumb 3 way switch setup in my house with the Eaton RF9640 master dimmer and Eaton RF9642 accessory switch. I had no issue including them to my Z-Wave network and then associating them using zwavejs2mqtt. What i did was added group2(on/off) and group3(dimming) to the accessory switch’s associations with the master switch as the target. It seems to work but there’s this annoying issue where the accessory doesn’t get updated with the master. For example, if the accessory is off and the master is on, I have to press the accessory twice. So to fix this, i go back into zwavejs2mqtt and add group 2 and group 3 associations for the master with the accessory as the target. This kind of worked a few times but then eventually i lost the abillity to dim from either of the switches. Turning power off to the switches seems to reset them and they work again for a little bit.

It seems like the switches get stuck in an association loop until i power cycle them. I know with inovelli they have a parameter you can set that prevents these loops but i don’t see any such thing for Eaton switches. Anyone ever experienced this?

I also replaced a dumb 3-way switch setup in my house with the Eaton RF9640 master dimmer and Eaton RF9642 accessory switch. I had no issue including them to my HA Z-Wave JS network.

After setting a couple of automations to link the two switches to turn on / off a light, which worked fine, I could not get the increase/decrease to work on the Master or Accessory Switch.

Now for clarity, if I push the Master Switch dimmer (RF9640) up or down this works – but there is no corresponding action on the accessory switch (RF9642) – meaning – the LED position on the accessory switch (RF9642) does not change. And if I go to the accessory switch (RF9642), the up / down dimmer does not work – meaning – the LED on the accessory switch (RF9642) does move up or down, but the light does not change brightness and there is no associated action on the master switch (RF9640).

So fundamentally, the accessory “dimmer” switch function does not work. I can turn on/off the light from the accessory switch. The master switch – all functions work. Additionally, when I had these two switches on SmartThings – all functions worked. I very recently moved them to HA and am trying to get them setup.

The trigger/device does not show the action to increase or decrease the companion dimmer switch.

When I go to set an automation I get:

I want to change the brightness from the entryway switch (RF9640):

Trigger

Device: Entry Dimmer Switch (RF9640)

Trigger: (there is no increase / decrease the light choice)

Conditions: none

Actions

Select: device: entryway accessory dimmer light SW (RF9642)

Action: Increase entryway accessory dimmer light SW brightness.

The same scenario occurs if I reverse the action/trigger:

I want to change the brightness from the entryway accessory switch (RF9642):

Trigger

Device: Entry Accessory Dimmer Switch (RF9642)

Trigger: (there is no increase / decrease the light choice)

Conditions: none

Actions

Select: device: entryway dimmer light SW (RF9640)

Action: Increase entryway dimmer light SW brightness.

How do I get the triggering switch to increase or decrease the LED light on the companion switch and of course change the room light brightness?

Any and all help is appreciated.

OK - after more reading - I may have found the problem.

How do I create an “association” between the two switches?

Hey sorry for the super late reply, i lost access to the email my github is tied to until recently. I ended up just removing the Eaton switches altogether and replacing with Inovelli Red Z Wave dimmers and have had 0 issues with those. Way easier to associate those switches. I had one of the inovellis and an auxiliary GE dimmer as the and it was super easy to associate. Inovelli has great documentation on how to set this up.

@mithirich Many thanks for the reply. I may end up doing the same. Thanks (!) and happy holidays!