Issues with generic_thermostat

I am having some trouble setting up a generic_thermostat … basically I have a custom air con that has 3 sensors:

• input_boolean.fujitsu_air - Air con power
  • input_number.fujitsu_air - The target temp
  • sensor.hue_motion_sensor_1_temperature (ReadOnly) - the actual temp of the room

I have the following:

climate:
  - platform: generic_thermostat
    name: Living Room
    heater: input_boolean.fujitsu_air
    target_sensor: input_number.fujitsu_air
    min_temp: 18
    max_temp: 30
    ac_mode: true
    target_temp: 20
    precision: 1

The object in HA then looks like this:

hvac_modes:
  - cool
  - 'off'
current_temperature: 23
temperature: 20
hvac_action: 'off'
friendly_name: Living Room
supported_features: 1

My questions are:

• Some of the things here with min_cycle_duration, cold_tolerance etc and “When in air conditioning mode, if the measured temperature is hotter than the target temperature, the air conditioning will be turned on and turned off when required temperature is reached”… seem to me that this turns the unit off and on automatically to heat / cool the room at intervals to match the temp set … I just want power (rather than HA act as a thermostat as such), set temp, and read current temp … is this possible?..

If so:

• How do I specify the temp sensor (sensor.hue_motion_sensor_1_temperature)?
  • Shouldn’t .temperature be the target and current_temperature be the temp of the room atm? …
  • When I turn the air con on with the remote input_boolean.fujitsu_air then becomes true … shouldn’t this update the state of climate.living_room?
  • Can I have options for off and on, rather than off, heat / cool … my aircon is automatic … you just set a temp and it heats or cools to match.
  • Adjusting the target temp seems to do nothing!
  • Can I force the target temp to be set in integral values?.. the default up/down button seems to be set to .5 increments … my aircon only supports whole degrees … precision seems not to change this.

Thanks

What do you need the climate entity for?

It appears that you are using the input_number as the temperature and not as the setpoint.

climate:
  - platform: generic_thermostat
    name: Living Room
    heater: input_boolean.fujitsu_air
    target_sensor: sensor.hue_motion_sensor_1_temperature
    target_temp: input_number.fujitsu_air
    ac_mode: true
    target_temp: 20
    precision: 1

As far as I know, the only option is ac_mode true or false which will affect hvac_modes.

Am I right in assuming that HA wants to “act” as the thermostat to switch of & on the unit as temp ranges are hit??..
Most aircon in Australia doesn’t work like that … this seems to be pointless on inverter air con units … they do not work like this at all!