Issues with Location tracking

Hi! I can’t seem to get location tracking to work with Home Assistant Companion app on android.
I used HA Client before and it worked just fine.

Right now I can’t find any new device tracker entities, and I keep getting Received message for unregistered webhook null in the log over and over.

Documentation here https://companion.home-assistant.io/en/core/location does not seem to be very helpful either, and looks like it’s mostly focused on iOS app.

What am I missing here?

Try to clear data in android app and configure it over again. That worked for me.

Funny, I don’t think I had this configuration process at all the first time. Thanks. We’ll see if it helps.

Seems to be working-ish? It registered but shows me as “Away” when I’m at home. The other app shows it properly.

And what if I want to give it a unique name? I tried changing it in About of the phone as Documentation says, but apparently it’s for iOS and did not work on Android. It used the name that was there by default.

And I have a feeling that me changing it’s name in the APP setting was what broke it maybe?

There’s an ‘App Configuration’ menu item on the sidebar in the Android App that allows you to access and change ‘Device Name’

Yes, but I did not notice it changing entity id

The entity id isn’t automatically renamed based on the device name. You need to rename it yourself. You can do this from the Integrations or Entities page.

1 Like

I have had to delete the app and re-install it to wipe all its settings a few times now, but it generally fixes the location updates for a little while.

Next time make sure to check these steps as well to make sure location tracking works as intended.

Clearing app cache and data and re-pairing it worked, and it worked fine on my wife’s phone from the first try. I guess I just did install some old version of the app a while ago, then removed it and forgot about it, but it still had data saved on the phone.