Issues with Schlage Connect and Z-Wave integration

Hi All,

I just recently built a pi 4 setup with the HA O/S and I’m using the zooz z-wave plus stick. I’ve been working through all the different integrations, (ZWave JS and OpenZwave). I’ve not yet to have my Schlage Connect be found by either integration. I’ve research the blogs/forums and other articles and none of the suggestions seemed to help. I’ve restored the lock to factory default (which now I have to remember the default code). My lock is several years old (i had been using Wink but stopped after they started to charge for a subscription)…is it possible the stick isn’t compatible with the version of zwave installed in the lock?

Any suggestions to try would be appreciated (I’ve been at it for 5 hours and nothing even close).

Thanks,

Richard

The default code should be on a sticker inside the back panel unless you removed it… or that same sticker exists on the back page of the instruction manual that came with your lock… but once factory reset changing back to your preferred code (using the manual methods provided in the manual) should not affect your zwave troubleshooting as long as the “programming code” remains the same…

You said it is not “found” by the integrations… so you attempted a secure inclusion and it was not found? Looking at the logs while attempting to pair are usually helpful to let you figure out what is going on. Also it has recently been suggested in a few posts that people have had to have have the lock quite close to their sticks. My personal suggestion would be to put brand new batteries in regardless how good you think they are as that caused issues for me…

Also don’t bother with OpenZwave if you are currently setting up a new system… either use Z-waveJS or Zwavejs2mqtt… have successfully included any zwave devices to this stick?

Edit; here is a recent thread with some pertinent information Schlage / Allegion BE469 Z-Wave lock

Hi @Bartem,

I have the default codes…just been a while since I’ve needed them. I did change out the batteries. I’m 62 inches from the z-wave stick to the lock. I’ve switched back to the Z-waveJS. The lock is the only z-wave device that I have at the moment. I did look at the logs for it and it shows that it’s ready for integration but when I go to the lock and put in the programming code and hit 0, I get 3 red x’s displayed on the pad and nothing shows up in the logs, like it cannot see it. I don’t know if there is a way to test the antenna in the lock itself or not with what I have. i’ve read that article and the other article that is referenced (which seems to be using the OpenZwave add-on). Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Richard

There is only one error that involves 3 red Xs which is a critical battery. Are you using brand new alkalines?

Hi @Bartem,

Yes, I just bought a new package. The 3 red x’s is after I put in the program code and hit zero…the green light flashes for a bit then the 3 red x’s flash. I can but another set of batteries and try again if the 3 red x’s will always mean bad batteries (though when I hit the Schlage button, the deadbolt locks and sounds like the batteries are fully charged). That is why I am wondering if it means something else during the programming side of things.

Thanks,

Richard

I did look at the configuration of the add-on and, under the network section, it shows the container under 3000/tcp but, under host, shows disabled. However, in the logs, there are no errors. Is that a red herring or is that possibly why I’m not seeing any communication between my lock and HA?

How closenis your zstick from the lock when you include? I own three of these and rejoins are a MASDIVE pain in the butt because i have to literally get extension cords and move my zstick to within INCHES of the lock (in reality i enlist my wife to hold the stick against the back cover of the lock body) while including… Had to do it when Inwas in SmartThings and had to do it again ehen I moved to HA. Onve I get them all included I run a repair on the device to solidify the routes. Its just a quirk of the lock. The newer ones wuth the programming button are much easier… But yeah. Get CLOSE, like wuthin inches close. And then do all those things you mentioned (factory reset, then exclude, - yes you need to do both, another quirk of the older Schlages- then join)

Other than the dodgy join process theyre excellent devices…

1 Like

I would do as @NathanCu suggested and factory reset again, and exclude again… also you can turn on debug logging for zwavejs so maybe you can see a little more detail as to if it is seeing anything at all… maybe open the logging on another screen so you can watch it through the whole process while clicking include (add node) etc…

Someone on Hubitat reported they literally had to duct tape the lock to the hub to get it to pair. These locks use a ‘whisper’ pairing to exchange the security keys.

Also, I’m assuming since this is an older lock it needs s0 inclusion. Zwavejs is trying to support newer s2 inclusion, but in the process, some s0 inclusion has been negatively impacted. See here https://github.com/zwave-js/zwavejs2mqtt/issues/1645 and here Device randomly loses security / network key and no longer able to add securely

Hopefully that issue isn’t impacting this but it could be. I’d make sure you are on the latest version of zwavejs which hopefully straightens it out, and try the steps detailed above by @NathanCu as well.

Hi @NathanCu,

That resolved the issue. I’m now joined and HA sees the deadbolt. Now to research how to do all the notifications/automations on when the door is unlocked, which code was used, etc. Thanks for everyone’s help. Will be getting more devices bought and added over time.

Thanks,

Richard

1 Like