ISY994 Zwave Multilevel Sensor 6

I guess I would call this an enhancement request, because it doesn’t necessarily fall into the bug category. The current hub/ISY994 controller component works fine for most insteon devices, but when you add the Zwave module, and connect a Aeon Labs Multisensor 6, things get a little whacky.

My ISY994 configuration is:

# ISY-994i
isy994:
  host: http://192.168.X.X:80
  username: admin
  password: redacted 
  sensor_string: 'Sensor'

I’ve got the Aeotec Multilevel sensor 6 connected to my ISY994i(Z), and via the admin interface on the ISY, I can see all the values from the sensor, which include: Status, Temperature, Humidity, UV Light, Luminance, and Battery Level.

But when HA is (re)started, it creates the following devices:

sensor.patio_multilevel_sensor
switch.zw_002_tamper_alarm

If I remove the sensor_string: 'Sensor' from the above configuration file, I get the following devices:

light.patio_multilevel_sensor
switch.patio_motion_sensor
switch.patio_multi_sensor_status
switch.zw_002_tamper_alarm

The problem is, none of these entity_id’s actually report: Status, Temperature, Humidity, UV Light, Luminance, or Battery Level.

I did a little digging on the ISY forums, as well as some trial and error in Postman (to work with the REST API), and I discovered the following:

If I load up the URL: http://192.168.X.X/rest/nodes/devices
(authenticate via the admin/pass)
I get XML formatted data back, about all of my ISY devices. But the ZWave multilevel sensor, doesn’t report its sensor values in the XML output. Here’s what it does report for the device:

<node flag="128">
        <address>ZW002_1</address>
        <name>Patio Multilevel Sensor</name>
        <family>4</family>
        <parent type="3">63013</parent>
        <type>4.33.1.0</type>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
        <deviceClass>0</deviceClass>
        <wattage>0</wattage>
        <dcPeriod>0</dcPeriod>
        <startDelay>0</startDelay>
        <endDelay>0</endDelay>
        <pnode>ZW002_1</pnode>
        <sgid>1</sgid>
        <devtype>
            <gen>4.33.1</gen>
            <mfg>134.258.100</mfg>
            <cat>118</cat>
        </devtype>
        <ELK_ID>B01</ELK_ID>
        <property id="ST" value="0" formatted="0%" uom="51" />
    </node>

But if I use the device specific URL: http://192.168.X.X/rest/nodes/ZW002_1
It does report the sensor values:

<nodeInfo>
    <node flag="128">
        <address>ZW002_1</address>
        <name>Patio Multilevel Sensor</name>
        <family>4</family>
        <parent type="3">63013</parent>
        <type>4.33.1.0</type>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
        <deviceClass>0</deviceClass>
        <wattage>0</wattage>
        <dcPeriod>0</dcPeriod>
        <startDelay>0</startDelay>
        <endDelay>0</endDelay>
        <pnode>ZW002_1</pnode>
        <sgid>1</sgid>
        <devtype>
            <gen>4.33.1</gen>
            <mfg>134.258.100</mfg>
            <cat>118</cat>
        </devtype>
        <ELK_ID>B01</ELK_ID>
    </node>
    <properties>
        <property id="BATLVL" value="100" formatted="100%" uom="51" />
        <property id="CLIHUM" value="11" formatted="11%" uom="22" />
        <property id="CLITEMP" value="7070" formatted="70.70° F" uom="17" prec="2" />
        <property id="DOF" value=" " formatted=" " uom="51"/>
        <property id="DON" value=" " formatted=" " uom="51"/>
        <property id="LUMIN" value="21700" formatted="217.00 lux" uom="36" prec="2" />
        <property id="UV" value="0" formatted="0.00 UV Index" uom="71" prec="2" />
    </properties>
</nodeInfo>

Also, possibly unrelated, when HA starts with the ISY994 component configured, I get the following in my logs:

17-02-21 16:48:50 WARNING (Thread-3) [homeassistant.components.isy994] Bad ISY Request: http://192.168.X.X:80/rest/vars/definitions/1
17-02-21 16:48:50 WARNING (Thread-3) [homeassistant.components.isy994] Bad ISY Request: http://192.168.X.X:80/rest/vars/definitions/2
17-02-21 17:19:53 ERROR (Thread-4) [homeassistant.components.isy994] ISY Could not parse variables, poorly formatted XML

If I try to hit the URL’s directly, I get an XML formatted 404.

So, could the ISY994 component be updated to support the Zwave Multilevel Sensor 6?
If more information, logs, or troubleshooting is required, please let me know.

I can confirm that this issue seems to affect all non-binary sensors, aka, any sensor that does more than just report 0/1. Z-Wave locks seem to show up fine though

Has anyone found a solution for this? If not, I will try digging into the ISY code in HA.

@tradel I gave up on this a while back, if you’re comfortable digging around in the code, I’d say go for it, hopefully you can make some progress!

I have a couple of Multisensors arriving this week. I’ll see what I can do.

I just hooked up an Aeotec Energy Monitor. Looks like HA can see one sensor value but not others. More digging is required.

I’d be interested to see if you have a different experience than what I documented above, with the Multisensors. Please let me know!

Will do. Just got a Multisensor and a Yale lock to play with.

I started digging into the code tonight and made a bit of progress. I’m able to get the other sensors displayed as attributes of the sensor.

I think the only way I’ll be able to get the sensors onto the main screen is if I split up the ZW100 into several “virtual” sensor devices – which is something I’ll look into this week.

That’s awesome progress @tradel! Can’t wait to see how this progresses! Please keep us posted.

Virtual sensors almost working. They’re not updating themselves correctly yet.

Damn, that’s awesome! So how do virtual sensors work?

I would be curious to know how this was accomplished with “virtual” sensors. Via the REST API? Would you share your configuration?

Hey everyone,

I am in the process of trying to improve many aspects of the ISY994 component, and this is one of them.

@xstrex, are you still using those Aeotec Multisensors with your ISY? Are you on ISY firmware 4.x (it looks like you are to me). I’d love to have you send me some debug logs so I can see how the status updates come through the webhooks stream.

So glad to hear it!! The ISY needs some better HA support IMHO.

@OverloadUT I do not currently have the Multisensor connected to the ISY, but I’d be more than happy to connect them, and send you any logs you’d like. Perhaps you can PM me, and I can get you whatever you need.

1 Like

Any updates on this issue? Is anything being worked on? I have two Aeotec ZW100 multi-sensors connected to my ISY994 right now. Of course, I experience the same issues described initially. I still don’t know what is meant above by “virtual sensors”. Is that the same as “template sensors”?

In any case, I got a few things working by using Command line sensors. For example:

sensor:
  - platform: command_line
    name: "House Humidity Sensor"
    command: /usr/bin/curl --user myUser:myPassword "http://myISY_IPAddress/rest/nodes/ZW001/CLIHUM" 2>&1 | awk -F"\"" '{print $8}'
    scan_interval: 60
    unit_of_measurement: '%'

where ZW001 is the ISY address of one of my sensors. That works very well, but it’s not very pretty. Of course, I would prefer better support and integration of ZWave devices between HA and ISY. As a note, I always use the latest versions of everything and I’d be ready to test anything.

Thanks!

Hi all I am new to HASS and am in the same boat. I have an ISY-994 with Aeotec Multisensor 6 that I would like to see sensor data for. Any updates? Thanks!

any updates on this?

I do want to dig into this again, but I’ll probably have to start from scratch. So much has changed since I first got this working – ISY firmware 5.0, many updates to HA, etc.

If anyone is interested in testing:

1 Like