It is possible to query the status of a HASSIO addon in HA?

I’ve got the DuckDNS addon set to auto-start and it usually works OK.

However sometimes it fails to autostart upon system reboot, and if I start it manually it works.

Is it possible to use HA to check if the DuckDNS addon is running, and if it isn’t running it starts it up after 2 minutes of uptime, for example?

I guess it’s not possible.

Does anyone else using the DuckDNS addon have the error

INFO: Using main config file /data/workdir/config
ERROR: Problem connecting to server (get for https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory; curl returned with 60)

At all? If so how do you fix it?

DuckDNS doesn’t need to be running all the time.

DuckDNS doesn’t need to be running all the time.

I’m using the NGINX addon also, and if DuckDNS doesn’t start then it seems to stop NGINX from working. The NGINX addon starts but it doesn’t serve any pages.

Really I need DuckDNS to be running - for now I’ve got an automation that simply starts DuckDNS 1 minute after HA starts - it usually says ni the log ‘addon already running’ but for those few times it fails to start this bodge seem to work. :slight_smile:

Something is wrong then, because DuckDNS is a once in a while thing. Your IP doesn’t change that frequently, and your certs don’t renew for 90 days.

That is how I check the status of a Addon using HomeAssistant.

Using that data you can create a switch that can be used to start/stop the addon in automations or from the frontend.

https://github.com/SilvrrGIT/HomeAssistant/blob/master/switches.yaml#L128

Something is wrong then, because DuckDNS is a once in a while thing. Your IP doesn’t change that frequently, and your certs don’t renew for 90 days.

Maybe, I’m not 100% sure how the addons work under the hood, but it seems that DuckDNS needs to be running for NGINX to serve pages. Maybe it’s something to do the SSL cert file?

It’s perfectly possible that when my DuckDNS addon wasn’t loading on startup there were some issues with the DuckDNS servers and hence who I couldn’t access HA using the NGINX proxy addon.

silvrr: Thanks so much, this looks exactly what I’m after. I’ve already made a LLAT for NodeRED so I’ll see if I can add on a rest sensor for DuckDNS. I can also have it fire off an e-mail if any addons fail to startup.

The cert file, once created the first time DuckDNS runs, is literally just a file. There is nothing that needs to be running for the file to work.

Thanks by the sounds of it then it must have been some sort of server issue I was having. Anyway I’m glad I’m not able to monitor my HassIO addons with the Rest sensor.

For anyone else doing the same thing, you can use localhost:8123 as your server on Hassio and it resolves without issue.