It just up and died

Hi all

I am just starting to get HA set up. All was going fine for a day or two and I have been able to add things in and all sorts of good stuff. Then all of a sudden it just stopped responding on the web front end - timed out.

I rebooted the VM (running on a windows hypervisor setup) and still nothing - it won’t even ping. I can get into the console and did a “core start” which said it was done but made no difference. I read some post to see if I could get some idea and one that came up was the SD card filling up … well I guess the equivalent is the virtual disk. This is thin provisioned and the hypervisor reports it is set to 6GB and taking 5.5GB so there is another 500meg available if the system wants it … don’t think that’s the issue.

It looks like HA is not connecting to the network even though the vm has a network card. Hypervisor is not even reporting an IP address.Are there any commands I can use to get it to connect?

I’m not sure of the commands to try and fix it.

However I do know why you are having the problem. You need more space on the V disk.

You well need to expand the virtual disk to a larger size, say about 16-32gb.

Lot of web pages out there detailing how to expand a V disk for various virtual systems.

Hope it helps.

I increased the V disk to 32GB. It’s took a little more so now is at 6.1GB (guess it likes a bit of extra room) but still no network connection.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the suggestion.

Everso

Some additional info that may be of help.

Hi Kris

guess our posts crossed - I already increased and it didn’t help :frowning:

I am tempted to just start from scratch - I haven’t done that much. However I would like to fix it if I can because I may be a lot further in and it goes again…

There is one more step to expand the disk. Details in step 3 on this page.

I am using hypervisor not virtualbox. As far as I can tell I have expanded the partition correctly. When I inspect in windows Disk Manager it shows the partition sized at 32GB.

Yes but the Hassos still thinks is 6 gb until you mount the v disk and expand the file system to its full size.

Perhaps this well help. look at steps 6 and 7,

You said you would like to fix this install. However if you start from scratch and expand the V disk first before booting Hassos. Hass will auto resize the disk upon first boot.

Hope it helps

Hi Kris

I liked this idea. Set up and expanded to 64GB to start with - I figure that should keep things going for a good while. However - still no network connection so I guess it is my Hyper-V setup that’s up set. I guess I have some googling to do :).

Thanks for your help.

EDIT…

The plot thickens. As a test I setup a quick Windows 10 guest on the same Hyper-V - same virtual network switch - same settings … it got network just fine. I checked in HA and it’s getting an IP of 172.30.32.2 (private range - no network). Now I am seriously confused. Hyper-V seems … fine. HA is a fresh install and last time worked just fine.

Anyone got any ideas???

Edit…Edit… I gave up. Found some instructions on installing Ubuntu in a Hyper-V VM and running HA on that. Seems a lot more stable. For “those that follow” there are some decent instructions here

https://sceptico.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/homeassistant-on-ubuntu-and-hyper-v/

Some bits missing and needs some messing on with but I got there in the end and have not really touched a unix system in my life.

Thanks Kris for the help. I guess we will never know what went wrong.