IT Privacy and security in Home Assistant

Hi guys,
we are doing a survey at the Humboldt University in Berlin about IT privacy and security aspects in smart homes, especially Home Assistant. We want to analyze the user perception of privacy concerns in smart homes. It will only take 5-10 min to fill out the survey :slightly_smiling_face:
i would be very thankful if you could take part and help us to get as many responses as possible.

https://umfrage.hu-berlin.de/index.php/462591?lang=en

Thank you!

A lot of your questions don’t make sense with respect to a locally hosted system like Home Assistant or OpenHAB. For example,

Provider of this smart home platform keeps its privacy promises and commitments, which are indicated on their websites.

or

Providing financial information (credit card number, digital signature etc.) for using this smart home platform is very sensitive to me.

There is no provider with local hosting. You don’t provide any information about you to anyone. That’s the whole point of hosting things yourself. There is no ‘does not apply’ option in your survey. These questions make no sense, especially when correlating them to cloud based commercial providers like Google or Amazon (these come up as options to the same question complex). Apples and oranges. The results of this analysis will be weird.

2 Likes

It looks indeed like the questions assume my IOT things are in the cloud, and not running local.

So most of my answers would be ‘not applicable’, which ain’t an option :thinking: