iTag Help - those wee bluetooth cheap beacons

I’m wondering if I might have a spot of help with some iTags.

I bought four on eBay.

1. Three work beautifully, the fourth turns itself off after about five minutes, presumably because it’s not paired with anything. Any way to change that?
  2. I’m using them with @andrewjfreyer’s amazing monitor. Does that preclude using the button as to trigger an automation? If it doesn’t, anyone know how I would detect the button press? I guess I’d need to pair the iTags with my RaPi but would that interfere with Monitor? Anyone know? :slight_smile:
  3. For bonus points…anyone here successfully disabled the button altogether? I notice I am sitting on the button sometimes and turning OFF the iTag and then I’m not noticing this!

Thank you!!

bump! [sorry…]

I have a few of these as well, i have been able to hook them up to the pi, but i haven’t figured out exactly how to detect the button presses. There is an unknown service on it that my guess is the control used by the android apps. But i have not had time to look into it.

I’m sure I came across people here who use the iTag button - but I can’t now find the post.

Hi,

1 - did you changed the battery? Usually they came with half to almost empty batteries.
3 - I had this problem too… give up and got some “Nut Mini” trackers (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-Finder-Tracker-Nut-Mini-3-Bluetooth-Alarm-Locator-For-Child-Pet-Luggage-Wallet-Phone-Key/32880404764.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4dABlVwj). Works nicely so far.