I've updated a component within Home Assistant, how can I test it in HassIO?

Right now I’m adding features to the BME280 sensor component, I’ve forked the repo and pushed the change. I’m following the docs here: https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/en/development_environment.html

I’d like to test it out in Hass.io if possible, I did try updating the bme280.py in the container with my own copy, but it gets overwritten by the original on reboot.

I’ve tried making a new file in the /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/ folder in the container but this also gets deleted when I reboot.

Is it possible to test out this component? Do need to do soem magic with docker to try it out?

You can try it as a custom_component.

1 Like

Hi, I had a look on google and found this:

Hi, by the looks of it you can put the component in the /config/ folder? I’ll try this and see what happens, looks ideal for testing :slight_smile:

/config/custom_components/sensor/
1 Like

Thanks so much, I was moving it in a few differenct folders but once I put it in
/config/custom_components/sensor/bme280.py

I was able to leave my configuration.yaml alone.

I got this message in my logfile:
You are using a custom component for sensor.bme280 which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.

Then a few python errors due to my sloppy code!

I was on the verge of having to wipe an SD card, install raspbian, etc. the whole custom component thing is perfect for this. :slight_smile: