background / motivation: We’re a Google family and basically our whole life is connected to Google. Though i have been using HA for a while now, my wife refuses to and set me an ultimatum: She will only use it if it’s more fun than Google. Challenge accepted.
What is Janet: Janet is a TTS and notifications machine that answers your questions and informs you about anything you can think of. She is based on the Janet character from the tv-series The Good Place.
This speech-engine provides the platform to create “Skills” that will allow you to basically build notification messages for any automation. In her current state she has over 90 references/phrases/quotes at her disposal that are randomised to build complete sentences. With her current phrase library she can generate 100’s of different variations of replies, her answer will not quickly bore you.
- Janet can send TTS and Notification messages. The kind of reply can be toggled with a hard switch
- incase you’re not home but there are visitors in your house the “guest mode” will make sure she’s still operational.
- Some notifications are too important to neglect, hence the “alert mode”
- Janet has several settings:
- Source: the output for TTS
- The volume of her output TTS
- Her wittyness: Basically the %-chance she will throw in witty comments in adition to the factual answer of your question.
- Janet’s abilities are expanded with skills: These skills are built up out of automations and the macro’s needed to form a reply.
As Skills are added, Janet’s functionality will keep increasing!
With enough interest in this project, the users of Janet can add Skills both for their own use, and that of the community.