Jasco finally released Zwave firmware files but I can't update my devices using ZwaveJS2MQTT

This is the announcement:

https://twitter.com/JascoProducts/status/1535243645879828482

This is where you can find the files:

I have several of their products but am unable to trigger an update. When I press “Begin” under “Firmware Update” I am asked to provide the file. After I do nothing happens. I read a comment stating that the UI does not provide feedback but the logs do… however my logs do not show any sign of the update.

Any suggestions other than exclude the device and update using another zwave controller? I can do it, but I would rather not.

You may have done this, but for the logs, in the GUI settings->ZWave enable the zwavejs logs to see what it shows.

@wmaker - I have looked at both the logs under the Zwave JS integration and also in the ZwaveJS2MQTT debug tab but did not see anything. What I need to try is to configure another stick I have on a test HA setup, and exclude the device from the “production” network so I can test this on my test system… but I don’t have the bandwidth right now :frowning:

Try the zwavejs driver log in the “store” tab, should be zwavejs_<current date>.log as the file name.

I excluded one of the outlets and added it to a test Home Assistant install that has no other nodes. I did an interview of the node and saw the logs with all the info. I then started a firmware update using the ZW1002_Enbrighten-GE_14288_5.26.hex file and nothing happens. I pressed abort and see the abort log, and also ping shows a log, but update does absolutely nothing. This is the same on my production HA install.

I have updated zwave devices before but never within HA. What am I doing wrong??

This is the version of ZwaveJS2MQTT:

zwavejs2mqtt: 6.12.0
zwave-js: 9.3.0

I am updating the outlet using SiLab - Zwave PC Controller so it was not a device issue. One thing I noticed though is that SiLab’s Zwave PC Controller would not let me update the device until 2 things happened (and I am not sure whether both were needed):

1. I had to fully update their software
  2. I had to click on file properties (in Windows) and select “Unblock”. It did not say that is was blocked, just that is might be… anyway ZwaveJS2MQTT did not complain about the file… it simply did nothing. Unblocking the file did not help with updating within HA.

After the 2 things above, the software calculated the file’s checksum and the Update button was active… so it looked like the system was silently stopping access to the file.

Not obvious to me why the call abortFirmwareUpdate is taking place.
One suggestion is to change the zwavejs log level to silly and see if there is any more detail.

Since the firmware update doesn’t start, I press the abort button to see if I get a log for that, and I do. I don’t get why the firmware update start doesn’t do anything but the abort does… a bug maybe?

I would still try the silly level to see if there is any more detail.

I tried and nothing happens :frowning:

Problem solved! The only way I had found to download the hex files was to right click on the file and select “Save link as…”. That got me a 1600kB file which look awfully large… but it was the first time updating Jasco products so I did not question it. The file contents are actually the entire page so HTML stuff!

I have downloaded many files before from GitHub but none of the Jasco firmware files download… so I clicked on the file and then hit “Raw” so see the contents. I copied all of the contents and saved them in a file with hex extension. That file was only 224kB or so and it worked.

I am not too familiar with Github but I think Jasco has a configuration issue of some sort…

DISCLAIMER: This worked for me, but if you make any mistake in doing so, your device will likely stop working… for good. I will open an issue with Jasco in hopes they can make it easier to download the file.

EDIT:

Better way: Right click on RAW button and select “Save link as…”

Credits:

Are Jasco/GE switches able to now be updated from ZwaveJS add-on? I attempted one as it showed an update available but did not work. Switch went offline and had a time getting it to come back online.

Yes, it should work fine but based on past experience (prior to this release), high zwave traffic might be causing trouble. You may need to tone down your energy reporting devices and chatty sensors (ie Zooz 4-in-1 motion sensor) or try to do it later at night when less stuff is going on. Anyhow, I recently moved to ZwaveJS2MQTT which already had this ability to manually update firmware and it worked somewhat slowly but fine without me having to worry about traffic (but I had already done a lot to reduce it).