Josh.AI? Anyone used it?

Has anyone had any experience with Josh.AI?

Saw it referenced for the first time here: The secret environmental cost hiding inside your smart home device - The Verge.

Looks intriguing, but currently doesn’t integrate with Home Assistant. I hope Assist can have such sleak voice devices!

1 Like

Yeah, so I’m a Josh.ai owner and have the hardware. Their hardware is fantastic and they basically have the equipment + UI you always wanted in Home Assistant.

The mobile app is … good.

With that being said they just announced their “Nimble DevSuite” integration for open source development integrations with their platform.

I’m not entirely sure how to get my hands on the dev documentation atm and what the limits are, but they told me that this should unlock HomeAssistant integration . . .

@thecodingart thanks for chiming in here! Did you have to hire a contractor to set it up for you or did you do it yourself?

What is your experience using Josh.ai? I’m especially curious because my name is Josh and I want to make sure my name is being used well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just saw this today.

Regarding setup – I did this myself. There was absolutely no need for a contractor to do so and it’s very plug’n’play.

As far as experience, the UI/UX is phenomenal and unmatched in the high end market IMO. The hardware is beautifully designed.

The voice assistant itself is, ok. The models are really good, but it’s not nearly as accurate as what is advertised and frankly, Siri is more accurate given its environment IMO.

The text to command languages are pretty powerful in the dashboard and do make automation creations a breeze.

Their pricing model is simply moronic and the way they treat their customers is also moronic given the size of the company + their ambitions. They 100% act bigger than they are and are pursuing to compete with the “big boys”.

Their integrations are heavily lacking atm, and this hurts them the most.

With that being said, I’d love to see them mature of time. Their hardware has the right design direction (it’s far from perfect hardware though – for example they have some major networking + poe issues on their nanos they refused to admit even after basically recalling all of their PoE adapters). And their “native” and “snappy” software with a thoughtful design is something the industry definitely needs pushed on it.

1 Like

Thank you for your review! I was hoping to meet someone who’s used it.

Sorry for jumping into this late but I am looking at josh.ai for a remodel we are doing. How did you install this yourself? I thought they only sold to av companies and not to end consumers.

I’m jumping in on this, too. Currently evaluating for a new build… did you ever figure out whether it’s vendor-locked or possible to configure/add devices on your own?