Just Another Alarm System question (Xiaomi)

Hi all,
I’m having fun with home automation form some years.
I’ve started using Openhab (later on Openhab2) and then moved to Home Assistant the last year. Really happy with it.
I’ve created some devices using MySensors library and hardware, setting up a RF2,4Ghz network, connected to HASS via MQTT, other devices via ESP8266 and MQTT as well (motion sensors, door sensors, relays).
Last work was add Amazon Alexa to my setup, first via personal developer skill and at the end via AWS (haaska).
Now, I’m back to extend my alarm system. I know I could build other devices extending MySensors network or adding some ESP8266-mqtt sensors, but it’s a matter of time, size of the device and stability.
I would like to have at least an alarm system that could work well standalone and the same way could be integrated with home assistant. In that way, a broken sensor could be replaced in a reasonable time for a reasonable cost, instead of building it from zero.
So I was looking on the Xiaomi devices. I still have the vacuum integrated in hass and I love it.
What do you think about this starter kit:

https://www.mi.com/it/mi-smart-sensor-set/

It’s fully compatible and at a reasonable price in your opinion? (~80€).

Another question is:
What if Internet isn’t working? Would it work anyway? I would avoid to have those devices are too much connected to internet. I.e. I’ve a zoneminder setup with some IP cameras, which I’ve disabled from the router to navigate and stream videos to china servers and I can look on the cameras via VPN and connecting to my zoneminder setup. I’ve not much to keep secret, expect drinking beer on my sofa, btw, it’s always my private life :wink:

Then last question:
Are then Aqara sensors compatible with this controller as well?

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Simon

sorry, no suggestions?
I’m near to purchase the above kit, but would like to have your opinions about the product and my questions, please :slight_smile:
Simon

The Mi hub and sensors are supported natively :slight_smile:
Alternatively you can buy a cheap USB zigbee dongle and buy the sensors separately.
This way you have no need to touch the Xiaomi cloud.

See https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/
Supported devices: https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/information/supported_devices.html

I used to use the Mi hub but now use zigbee2mqtt exclusively.
I find these sensors to be very very good value for money.
They look great, function well and are super cheap (esp. when you buy direct from china) :slight_smile: Winner!

I have xiaomi sensors on all exterior doors and windows in my house, and xiaomi motion sensors in most common rooms, and two motion sensors outdoors in sheltered areas. They have all worked perfectly for the last year (excepting one motion sensor that got soaked in rain when I left it exposed outside and it was acting weird until I dried it out).

I use two xiaomi hubs to connect them to home assistant as the hubs are handy as nightlights as well. The hubs have been exceptionally reliable so I have not felt the need to connect any of the sensors to a dedicated zigbee USB dongle, but it will be my first move if I ever have any issues with the hubs. I’m at the stage now where I think I will never update the firmware for the hubs again just in case of future issues.

The outdoor motion sensors are used now to trigger recording and alerts for my security cameras, leading to a massive reduction in false positives compared to the built-in motion detection in the cameras and / or the CCTV software.

The only thing people sometimes have issue with is the reset time for the motion sensors; they will show motion for about 2 minutes before resetting, even if there hasn’t been motion for 1 minute 45 seconds. This happens to work in my favour for my particular setup but some people need more granular control, such as you would get from the bigger Hue motion sensors (they reset almost immediately).

Highly recommend the xiaomi gear.

1 Like

Thanks @hijinx for your opinion!
Actually I’ve an amazon voucher I could spend in a starter kit, that’s the reason why I’m thinking investing in it, eheh. I’ve found the same kit on amazon as well.
Even if… the zigbee project seems really great! Now I’m in confusion :slight_smile:
Where do you’ve purchased the sensors? aliexpress?
Thank you!!

You can buy the aqara/mi sensort from aliexpress, gearbest etc.
BTW there is nothing wrong with the xiaomi/mi hub - I used it for ~2 years. I agree with @jdbrookes that the hubs are reliable, and if you think you would use the light or sounder that is in the hub then thats a reason to go with the hub option.
I just like the flexibility I have with zigbee2mqtt to add devices from whatever manufacturer I choose.
If you choose the hub but then change your mind, you can always just ebay the hub on its own and repair the sensors.
Bottom line is that choice is good ! :slight_smile:

Thanks @jdbrookes, great review :wink:
Ok @hijinx, that could be the way, I could start in taking the start kit (and have it earlier than 6 weeks waiting from China, hehe), and just in case add later the zigbee2mqtt support to control other vendors as well.
Do you tink the HUB creates interferences if I add the zigbee2mqtt later on? I don’t think due AFAYK they should be paired (like bluetooth), so as soon they are paired with the correct hub, all should work well.
Correct?

Bye, Simon

Both are good options. You wont be disappointed either way.
You do need to pair each sensor with (whichever) hub, but pairing is repeatable and repairing to a different hub is simple.

Thanks @hijinx! :wink:

BTW I know its off topic, but I just saw this guide how to perform a hardware modification how to reduce the trigger period:

I assume it can reduce the battery life significantly for busy rooms.

1 Like

That could be a nice read for me as well, due I’m near to ordering it!