Just Installed Mosquitto Broker, but can't start it

Well go step by step. Start mqtt addon, check that is working like I showed you above. Go to integrations and reconfigure mqtt broker.
For broker use your host name. This is the name you can define in settings → system → network.
You have ring devices and probably have some ring integration?
Are those devices available in this integration?

ok, I have it make step by step.

but the problem is, I can´t start the mqtt addon. After I click on start the stand also start and not stopped.

Yes I have an other addon “Ring-MQTT with Video Streaming”, but here are the same problem. I can´t start the addon.

in the log from mqtt broker:

2023-02-25 14:13:35: Client <unknown> disconnected, not authorised.
2023-02-25 14:13:36: New connection from 172.30.33.3:60710 on port 1883.

I don’t have any ring devices, but from the things you posted here your mqtt addon is working because it is listening to the port 1883 and others.
Now your mqtt integration may need to be reconfigured. I don’t know how did you set up this before or someone did it for you.
As I see online this addon is something like zigbee2mqtt. I believe that this addon will not start if mqtt is not up and running

Ok, but why I can´t see that mqtt broker is running?

As long as mqtt broker is not running visibly, i don’t think it makes sense to delete the mqtt integration and set it up again

I told you how. Use netstat and docker commands. Start mqtt addon and see if it listen to the port 1883 and others. If it listen to the port than broker is up.
Mqtt integration relies on mqtt add, as addon is a broker. You don’t have to delete mqtt integration, just reconfigure it, if this is a problem. I don’t know do you have to reconfigure mqtt integration. I done it many times testing things.

Ok I test it again with netstat and it listen on port 1883.

At the first time I config nothing under mqtt broker or Ring-MQTT with Video Streaming and it have work.

Since yesterday it dont´work anymore.

Now I have reconfig the mqtt integration:

i’m at a loss :disappointed:

Look, forget about devices and everything else.
Mqtt is a communication protocol. Like english language. To set up mqtt you need addon because this addon is a broker. When your broker is up you can connect to it using mqtt integration.
For you ring addon you probably need to set up mqtt broker address, username and password.
I use zigbeetomqtt which is probably very similar to your addon and I use config like this

server: mqtt://homeassistant:1883
user: mqtt
password: xxxxxxx

My config from the addon Ring-MQTT with Video Streaming:

mqtt_url: mqtt://mqtt:MYPASSWORD@homeassistant:1883
mqtt_options: ""
livestream_user: ""
livestream_pass: ""
disarm_code: ""
enable_cameras: true
enable_modes: false
enable_panic: false
branch: addon
debug: ring-*
location_ids: []

But I got in the addon logs:

2023-02-25T13:52:21.981Z ring-mqtt Attempting to reconnect to MQTT broker...
2023-02-25T13:52:21.987Z ring-mqtt Unable to connect to MQTT broker Connection refused: Not authorized

I think that you messed something up. I don’t know what. Enable mqtt to start on boot and reboot computer.
It’s up to you, but you can before rebooting remove mqtt integration. If everything is oke you should get on reboot mqtt integration to configure it. If you remove mqtt integration maybe you will have to configure all devices again. I’m not sure because I never get to that point.

I also not sure, because it currently looks completely different with the addons than I was used to.

I just think that there are still problems directly with the addons. Later, I also need the web gui menu item for the Ring addon in order to log in to Ring. But unless the addons are running visibly, this won’t work

@tsightler maybe you have an idea, whats going wrong.

Now I have do the following:

I’m really at a loss as to what else to try

If you are unable to get addons to start, that’s far beyond anything specific to ring-mqtt, however, Home Assistant provides plenty of logs. The HA supervisor is responsible for upgrading, starting and stopping containers (addons are just docker containers) so I’d look at the HA supervisor logs for clues. In the end, logs are the only way to determine what is going on.

It’s getting weirder and stranger. If I e.g. For example, if you click on Start for mqtt Broker, nothing happens and the Start button is there again. I’m going to look at the supervisor logs as you suggested

23-02-26 09:55:34 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.addon] core_mosquitto is already running!

The same by “Ring-MQTT with Video Streaming”

23-02-26 09:57:56 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.addon] 03cabcc9_ring_mqtt is already running!

Although it fits the assumptions of ddaniel. But it’s no use to me if the addons are actually running but Home Assistant doesn’t show them. Although it fits the assumptions of ddaniel. But it’s no use to me if the addons are actually running but Home Assistant doesn’t show them. Because I e.g. For example, with the Ring-MQTT with Video Streaming addon, I still need the Web Gui button to log in to Ring.

Do I have any other option than stopping an addon in the addon itself using the Stop button?

I try now to stop and new start the addon mqtt broker with an automation.

I see the following in the supervisor logs when I stopp:

23-02-26 10:58:25 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [supervisor.docker.interface] Stopping addon_core_mosquitto application
23-02-26 10:58:30 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [supervisor.docker.interface] Cleaning addon_core_mosquitto application

Then I have start the addon I see this in the supervisor logs:

23-02-26 10:59:31 INFO (SyncWorker_6) [supervisor.docker.addon] Starting Docker add-on homeassistant/aarch64-addon-mosquitto with version 6.1.3
23-02-26 10:59:35 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.services.modules.mqtt] There is already a MQTT service in use from core_mosquitto```

It seems to me that you have two or more containers or images. Maybe I’m wrong. You already install and reinstalled those addons. Remove them again, install portainer from ie. this repo
Edit sorry this is the repo

Open portainer and remove containers and images for those addons. Reboot comp and install them again.

I have try zu install and reinstall many times. Now I have remove them again.

Then I have add the reso GitHub - alexbelgium/hassio-addons: My homeassistant addons and install the addon Portainer.

But also at this addon I cant start it. I click on start but nothing happen. If I click again in the supervisor logs are written, it already run.

Do you maybe have backup from the time this wasn’t happening?
If you do try to restore your configuration from backup.
If you don’t, then I don’t know… I’m running out of ideas.
I mean you can always reinstall everything but setting everything up will be probably a long time proccess.

The problem is that I didn’t make any changes to Home Assistant when this error occurred.

But I’ve made a full backup of Home Assistang twice. But the error persists.

The file configuration.yaml is from 15.01.2023. And at this date everything run well.

A complete reinstall from Home Assistant is a real big project. Because I have many intreations and automations and so on :disappointed:

If it’s any consolation, I’m in the same boat and about to throw in the towel. Hope your fared better.

1 Like

Unfortunately, things aren’t going any better for me either. I will soon set up a new Home Assistant on a second external hard drive and then import a backup.