Just wondering

hey guys,
I am sitting here thinking about how much I love home assistant.
But i have a question has any one used the samsung smart things hub.
This is why I ask. It seems to me that if Samsung Smart things hub can do
the same things as home assistant without a subscription fee to Nabu Casu.
Then why not use Samsung hub instead of Home Assistant

As far as I know, smartthings is more or less canceled.
But it’s all rumors I guess.

Smart Things has way less features than Home Assistant and only a limited amount of devices can be integrated.

You don’t need a subscription fee to Nabu Casa, you can have free remote access with something like DuckDNS.

thank you sir,
I do love home assistant and I am aware of the very complicated walk around.
I was not aware of the limitations of Samsung thank you for pointing this out to me

love the name you must ride
was unaware of Samsung smart things hub being discontinued

The hub itself is now produced by Aeotec. Samsung is only focusing on software. The other huge issue with ST is the heavy reliance on a single cloud provider and cloud in general. Their uptime is only 87-90% over the last 3 years.

3 Likes

The most important reason is that Smartthings is cloud based and goes down more often that you would want. Also, security is a concern because… again… it is cloud based.
I used Smartthings from the start before Samsung bought them. After several outages I experimented with HA and never looked back. Also, if your internet service goes down, HA can still run all your automations, etc. You do not need to subscribe to NABU Casa. I do because it makes many things easier and it supports the development of HA>

3 Likes

If you really want to research, look at the number of people who are on this forum seeking help moving from smart things to HA.

But you’ll probably find it TL;DR. Believe us, just don’t go to smart things.

2 Likes

I’m running HA and SmartThings. I started a SmartThings user because it was pretty powerful for the $100 entry fee. I used it to integrate some lights, a door lock and Amazon Echo. But, I wanted to do more and the SmartThings interface was limited in power.
I did not see any of the reliability issues others claim. Down time? Yes, but my home supported HA will have downtime and hopefully I’m available to fix it :slight_smile:
SmartThings is evolving. It’s clear Samsung is spending a lot to make the software changes they want to make. Maybe that’s a good sign, but the community gripes a lot about the changes. I’ve heard much of the processing is moving off the hub to the cloud, but I wasn’t coding over there, so it isn’t clear to me the direction their taking.
It has a big company behind it. But it isn’t clear how they are making money, so the future is cloudy.
SmartThings is still my Z-wave & Zigbee hub.

I moved to HA for the power. IMO, SmartThings is a good entry level system, but HA will take the power users to the next level.

Now that the Amazon Echo has a Zigbee hub inside of it ST will be dead in a few years. We will see huge adoption of the Amazon ecosystem as they will promote 3rd party Zigbee integrations with a “Works with Alexa” and then the entry level market will be only one player. Hubitat doesn’t advertise much, Google is inept at understanding what a Smarthome is, Wink is dead and ST has given up on hardware. The world for Smarthome tech will be Amazon for entry level folks and then HA and potentially HomeSeer for the non-professional tech enthusiasts. Just my $0.02.

I happened to stumble upon some info about “smart things” today. It’s not looking good if your a user.