Kamstrup FlowIQ 2200

Curious if anyone has come across this water meter. It looks like it uses AMI in the 912.5, 915 or 918.5mHz ranges but is likely encrypted in the US.

It does have a IR interface. Is there an existing solution to interface?

I think it is somewhat well documented, so someone can probably make a solution.
Here is the data sheet (page 11 have a link to some communication definitions):

I found the US version of this PDF which I thought was awesome public documentation compared to other vendors.

It looks like US versions are AMI/AMR and require encryption so that would prevent us from reading over the air with a RTL-SDR tuner, correct? That is why I was thinking of the IR route.

Yup, its end-to-end encrypted according to the last page of this document.
http://nebula.wsimg.com/7d2656826012565cc861c868eff245a9?AccessKeyId=600D44B24C0D0D458B22&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Looks like there is only the optical access for a local solution, since the end-to-end encrypted traffic goes directly to Kamstrups hosting center and not even to your provider.
Maybe your provider has a cloud solution that you can access.

Any ideas for an optical/IR solution?

Not really, but you need to figure out what setup the optical interface is using.
In the datasheet it looked like there were different ones to be chosen by the installer technician.

Maybe this could inspire some hardware setup.

Just got a new Kamstrup FlowIQ 2200 water meter installed yesterday (residing in Denmark). I’ve read numerous threads about the Multical21/Flow IQ2200 meters inability to continously read via the IR optical interface, as this is somewhat throttled by the meter firmware to limit battery usage. Perhaps I’m just lucky or perhaps the newer meter versions doesn’t have this previous fw restriction ?

So far I’ve done some 800+ reads last 48 hours and I’m still reading registers without issues every 5 minutes. I’m using the cenobitedk ESPHome component as base to read the meter. Using same component with identical hardware to read my district heating Multical 602 meter as well.

Searched for available Multical21 / FlowIQ 2200 registers. So far I’ve not been able to find any relevant data related to the actual registers. I’m particularly interested in the status/info register 0x0044 (leak, burst, reverse, tamper) and the inlet water temperature (average). No temperature data registered in the ‘usual’ 0x0056, 0x0057 & 0x0058 registers.

Can anyone shead light on the structure of the info register. I guess it’s an event bit register ?
And if anyone has located the water temp. register, that would be great as well :slight_smile:

Hi Henning.

Trying to use the same component from GitHub - cenobitedk/esphome_multical402: Kamstrup Multical 402 for esphome.

will need some help from you. Are you using the esp01s that comes standard with these IR readers from ebay or did you use the esp8266 d1 mini or some other ?

Thanks

Hi’

Currently I’m using ESP8266 Wemos D1 minis. But almost any ESP version should work. I got a couple of the esp01s lying around somewhere. Haven’t tested these yet though.

That’s great. Do you know exactly which pcb you have ?

I have tried with esp01s, WeMos d1 and also 12f. Nothing seems to be sending anything to the infrared LEDs.

Apparently I need to try a different one. Do you have a link of the pcb?