Keep losing connection with Denon AVR

Dear all,

Since the Denonavr update I keep losing connection with the receiver and it is driving me nuts. All entities are still there but they do not respond when the receiver is turned on externally or when you try to turn the receiver on in Home Assistant. The receiver itself is reachable through its web-interface: :10443

Inspecting the logs I indeed find that it loses connection:

Update failed.
6:35:54 AM – /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/denonavr.py (ERROR) - message first occurred at 1:41:07 AM and shows up 1770 times
No connection to /goform/AppCommand.xml end point on host 192.168.1.11
6:35:54 AM – /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/denonavr.py (ERROR) - message first occurred at 1:41:07 AM and shows up 3540 times
Getting tone control failed.
6:35:54 AM – /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/denonavr.py (ERROR) - message first occurred at 1:41:07 AM and shows up 1770 times
Updating denonavr media_player took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10
6:35:54 AM – Media player (WARNING) - message first occurred at 1:41:11 AM and shows up 885 times

Solutions I found say that I should power-cycle the receiver. After, I do a power-cycle and thereafter, restart Home Assistant, indeed the entity works again for some time, until it gets disconnected again and I have to repeat the process. As this happens at random, my Wife Appreciation Factor (WAF) is dropping fast. I have already multiple times removed the integration with similar results.

My system is a NUC running a dockerized Home Assistant 0.117.5.
The Denon AVR 2700x firmware is also the latest: 1200-6225-7061-3085.

Any help or suggestion pointing in the right direction is much appreciated.

Thanks! Dennis

1 Like

Not exactly the same issue, I’m afraid, but since 2 days I’m also getting thousands of error messages:

2020-11-21 11:02:04 ERROR (SyncWorker_37) [DenonAVR] Host 192.168.52.47 returned HTTP status code 403 to POST command at end point /goform/AppCommand.xml
2020-11-21 11:02:04 ERROR (SyncWorker_37) [DenonAVR] Getting renamed and deleted sources failed.
2020-11-21 11:02:04 ERROR (SyncWorker_37) [DenonAVR] Host 192.168.52.47 returned HTTP status code 403 to GET request at end point /goform/formMainZone_MainZoneXml.xml
2020-11-21 11:02:04 ERROR (ThreadPoolExecutor-112_0) [DenonAVR] Host 192.168.52.47 returned HTTP status code 403 to GET request at end point /goform/formMainZone_MainZoneXmlStatus.xml
2020-11-21 11:02:04 ERROR (ThreadPoolExecutor-112_1) [DenonAVR] Host 192.168.52.47 returned HTTP status code 403 to GET request at end point /goform/formMainZone_MainZoneXml.xml
2020-11-21 11:02:04 ERROR (SyncWorker_37) [DenonAVR] Missing status information from XML of Main for: Power, InputFuncSelect, Mute, MasterVolume

This set of errors repeats every 10 seconds. Power cycling receiver does not solve this even for a while… Also restart of HA does not help. Any idea?

I’m getting the same error messages for my denon s730 and the entity is not available. It was working fine with 0.117.6.

I also have many thousands Denon Errors in my log. It is still working on 118.2 as long the receiver ist turned on, but i would love to get rid of this vast amount of errors… Any idea?

Logger: DenonAVR
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/denonavr.py:368
First occurred: 22. November 2020, 21:58:42 (24516 occurrences)
No connection to /goform/AppCommand.xml end point on host 192.xxx.x.xxx

Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/denonavr.py:903
First occurred: 22. November 2020, 21:57:54 (12276 occurrences)
Getting tone control failed.

Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/denonavr.py:674
First occurred: 22. November 2020, 21:58:42 (12258 occurrences)
Update failed. 

There seems to be a Pull Request which address a similar error we are all seeing on AppCommand.xml:

It is merged, so it might get included in the next release!

1 Like

Same problem, since I updated to 0.118.0 (coincidence?) connection to my Denon AVR is lost.
Power cycle helps for a while but it gets disconnected after a while with lots of 503 errors in the log.
Was there a firmware update of is this just HomeAssistant?

2 Likes

Same problem here.

Denon integration losing connection to Marantz NR1710-avr

I have successfully used this integration for almost a year.
Now since a couple of weeks (i can’t pinpoint the exact moment) I’m experiencing connection loss between the integration and the AVR.
The strange thing is that the HEOS integration for the same AVR is working perfectly. No problems at all.

The AVR is wired connected to the LAN/Internet 24/7 but at some time the connection is lost and i get a lot of errors. (i will include them below)

I use the Denon integration to turn the receiver on/off, volume control etc.

I can fix the connection by pulling the power from the AVR & restarting HA. After that the integration works for a couple of days.
Reinstalled the integration multiple times did not work.
Can anyone help me with this?

HomeAssistant is running on a RPI4 on the latest version. (HassOS 4.17 & HA 0.118.4)

Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/denonavr.py:590
First occurred: 8:39:16 AM (141 occurrences)
Last logged: 9:02:41 AM
Missing status information from XML of Main for: Power, InputFuncSelect, Mute, MasterVolume

Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/denonavr.py:404
First occurred: 8:39:14 AM (426 occurrences)
Host 192.168.1.17 returned HTTP status code 403 to GET request at end point /goform/formMainZone_MainZoneXml.xml
Host 192.168.1.17 returned HTTP status code 403 to GET request at end point /goform/formMainZone_MainZoneXmlStatus.xml

Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/denonavr.py:1098
First occurred: 8:39:14 AM (141 occurrences)
Getting renamed and deleted sources failed.

Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/denonavr.py:432
First occurred: 8:39:14 AM (141 occurrences)
Host 192.168.1.17 returned HTTP status code 403 to POST command at end point /goform/AppCommand.xml

Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/denonavr.py:454
First occurred: 8:39:16 AM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 8:39:16 AM
Unable to get device information of host 192.168.1.17, can not use the serial number as identification

Logger: DenonSSDP
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/denonavr/ssdp.py:178
First occurred: 8:39:16 AM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 8:39:16 AM
During DenonAVR device identification, when trying to request http://192.168.1.17:8080/description.xml the following error occurred: HTTPConnectionPool(host='192.168.1.17', port=8080): Read timed out. (read timeout=2)

Same problem also for the last 3 days, but updated to 0.118.2 10 days ago.
I noticed that the AVR app on my phone doesn’t work also, comes only back after power cycle, Heos integration is still working.

Same situation. Marantz SR-6013. It starts working if i pull power on the receiver, but a day later it goes into the same error loop and no longer accessible from HA or from the phone app. Heos does work on both.

you could follow https://github.com/scarface-4711/denonavr/issues/169 to receive updates on this.

And there is also another issue here from about a week ago:

You guys know Denon/Marantz rolled out a firmware update in mid Nov?
My 4500h was set to auto update (by default), so it had updated itself and I didn’t know until I checked it last night. Had to find the number of the firmware installed, and then google to figure out it was the mid Nov update.

My guess is these problems are because Denon made a change that screws up HA, and not a HA revision, but that is just a guess.

FWIW, I did some research into the Denon AVR remote control, and I’m pretty sure there are basically two programs in their AVR’s, a Heos program for streaming content and a receiver program that controls basic AVR functions.
This would explain why Heos works and the Denon program broke.

I wrote more info here on the subject

If it was a denon firmware issue why did the problem started after installing 0.118?
My denon was updates 3 weeks ago and with version 0.114.4 it worked for 2 weeks, after installing 0.118.2 it worked a week and then the problems started.

I’m having the same types of problems with my Denon X4300H – the home assistant integration had been working fine for a long time but very recently I started having connection issues and noticed numerous errors in the logs. It’s basically a complete loss of connectivity until I fully power cycle (pull the power plug) on my Denon AVR… this is a recent issue that I also noticed only after a recent Home Assistant update also.

I suppose it could be a Firmware issue, but as noted in prior posts, the issues appear to be closely linked to a Home Assistant update from my perspective also!

Well you guys have the option to downgrade to an earlier version of HA that worked ok for you.

IMHO, I’d have expected the problem to appear right after the upgrade, not a week later.

A way to check if it’s the receiver firmware update that’s causing the problem, would of course be to do at factory restore of the receiver, to revert the firmware. Personally I’ve automated a power plug to power cycle my Denon X1500H every day at 2 am, while waiting for a real fix.

Hi, everyone.

Just to chime in, I’m having the same issue on a Denon X4400H, and can add the following:

• This is not an entirely new issue: it has happened for a long time, only very rarely, and would normally sort itself out after a standby cycle (or two). I first noticed it years ago when the Denon app wouldn’t connect;

• It has become very common, recently, with the AVR being controllable for a few days and then invariably requiring a full power cycle (“Network Reset” might be an option, though I still need to test that);

• I´m with @randytsuch and others above in that this seems to be down to the latest Denon firmware update, which seems to have landed mid-November. Different AVR models will have gotten this update at slightly different dates, which would account for some people having been affected longer than others. The fact that both HA and Denon’s own AVR Remote App both get “locked out” seems to corroborate the hypothesis that the problem lies somewhere within the AVR’s firmware (network command server?) and not HA;

• I’ve noticed the problem kicks in at random, but in a specific instance: when the AVR goes to standby. Why it does so for some standby cycles and not others is beyond me, but there is a setting for turning off network control when going into standby… maybe the bug is in there somewhere;

Next time this happens on my setup I’m going to try either a “Restart” or “Network Reset”, and see what those do.

I’ll update here with any new findings.

Cheers

Hi ricarva,
How do you perform a “restart” or “Network Reset” ?
That way i can help testing.
Thx

@TheFalcone

This thread over at AVSForum has all the procedures listed on post #5. I’ll probably do a Network Reset in the meantime, even if the bug isn’t manifesting right now, and see if that sorts things out pre-emptively.

Add me to the list of people that has the denon losing connection every couple days. Power reset sometimes fixed it. I’ve tried deleting and re adding the integration as well. Seems to sometimes have problems finding it after deleting the integration too. I checked my denon firmware says it’s on the latest and auto update was on. Denon receiver is static ip Ethernet and definitely online I’m not really sure when I started having trouble but it first started appearing a few weeks ago.