KeyMaster Z-Wave lock manager and scheduler

I am reading the documentation included with keymaster in HACS and the “wiki”.

I am uncertain if the following steps are all I need.

I am running HAOS.
I have keymaster installed.
I have Z-Wave JS add-on installed (0.4.4).
I have Z-Wave JS integration installed.

The HACS Keymaster documentation state:

1. add your devices to your Z-Wave network via the inclusion mode
  2. use the Home Assistant Entity Registry to rename each entity that belongs to the device and append _LOCKNAME to it.
  3. This will automatically generate the keymaster files
  4. have to uninstall or disable your zwave network (from the wiki)
  5. install zwave-js-server or ozwdaemon (from the wiki)

What is zwave-js-server?
The only reference to Z-Wave Server on HA website where they seem to use Z-Wave JS driver, Z-Wave integration, and Z-Wave JS Server interchangeably.

If I have to uninstall one or both integration and add-on as per documentation,

1. which one do I have to uninstall?
  2. will this impact my existing Z-Wave devices and connectivity?
  3. how can I tell what to install as zwave-js-server, considering HA docs and Keymaster docs are using overlapping naming convention but there is no way to identify in HA installation which is which?

Thank you.

I think the wiki needs a bunch of work :wink:

Installation steps (going from memory but I’ve got 4 HA systems setup with KeyMaster, some with multiple installations)

1. Be running HAOS (it’s easiest for everything)
  2. Create the packages directory inside your config directory if it doesn’t already exist
  3. Install Keymaster integration from HACS and reboot HA
  4. Have Zwave setup in HA, either using the default ZwaveJS add on which gets installed by default when you add the Zwave integration, or better, the Zwave JS UI add on
  5. Install the Zwave integration (if you haven’t yet, the previous step and this can effectively be in either order as not having a Zwave add on installed will cause the default one to get installed)
  6. Include your lock, you shouldn’t need to edit any entity names
  7. Install the Keymaster integration itself and tell it which lock to use, the configuration files will be automatically created in the config/packages directory and loaded if possible
  8. Create a new dashboard and copy in the generated dashboard configuration or create your own custom dashboard.

Thank you. I do have keymaster working, and I am grateful for it.

I think the wiki needs a bunch of work :wink:

I think all of HA needs much of this. :smiley:

Maybe this your could be the “year of documentation”.

I could not find explanation for the various options that I got.

I make the assumption that the “Day”- and “Night Auto Lock” triggers a lock if the MagSensor status is closed.
What I do not grasp is what is difference between the two? Is “Day” stops the locking if unlocked? Is Night starts? Does it just do it once, or if mag sensor is closed, and unlocked, it will lock between the times?
I would be fine if it just got triggered say midnight once if the door is closed.
Alternatively, between time range if the door is closed per mag sensor

The day and night autolock options are how long to wait after the door sensor (looks like you’ve got it set as MagSensor) is closed before it tries to lock. If it fails to lock it will wait that amount of time again and then retry.

Day and night are defined as between sunrise and sunset for day and sunset to sunrise for night. The autolock timers only operate if you have the Auto Lock Enabled option turned on.

Personally, I stopped using the built in autolock bits as I had a lot of different things I wanted to do based on the status of the door. So I built my own automation. Same with the built in notifications system, I had enough logic around notifications that it was easier for me to just build my own.

Raman’s been working on a very nice integration, it doesn’t have all the feature sets KeyMaster has but those could be implemented via automations easy.

He’s leveraging the HA calendar for scheduling, very slick, recommend checking it out.

Oooo… interesting. Now how am I going to test this and make it another possible lock manager for Rental Control? My test system doesn’t actually have locks setup outside of a virtual lock!

You can run it along side of KeyMaster, they don’t bother each other, unless you try to change a slot’s code :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, but I modify slot codes regularly via Rental Control :wink:

Hello All,

I have some Schlage locks, which are stuck always in “adding”. Install is up to date throug HACS. I have confirmed strong zwave signal, able to remotely lock/unlock almost immediately, and no zwave errors showing. Just switched from a 700 series controller to 800 controllers, and though the controller is faster, when I change a code, turn things on/off, I see no action. I’ve struggled with this in the past thinking it was my zwave mesh, but since then I have ruled that out.

Is there any guidance that I can receive to troubleshoot? Or a document that I can go through? Ive had this issue intermittently in the past, and its just a hard wall for me.

When you turn off the slot (so it should go to disabled) does it actually do that or does it stay in Removing state as well?

I’ve got one lock that consistently gets a bit stuck and all I (usually) have to do is just run a keymaster.refresh_codes service call against the lock.

It gets stuck. Ill run the refresh_codes shortly.

Right for this use case I’d suggest not running both at the same time :stuck_out_tongue:

And that’s why I just opened a couple of issues against the repo as I tried to get it setup on my test system. It’s not going very far since I don’t have an actual Zwave lock attached to my test system but a virtual lock via the virtual components HACS integration.

1 Like

What you explained is something I am very familiar with, I used to get this a lot, the solution is to add a buffering repeater between the lock and your HA instances. A buffering repeater can be any AC (non-battery) power ZWAVE device or an actual Zwave extender.

I have experinced this with HA and Samsung Smartthings Aeotec Hub V3.

The symptoms of the issue are, you can lock or unlock the lock remotely, but sending programing commands are delayed, unresponsive, or returns an error.

I have several locks, what I’m currently using is Aeotec Range Extender 7 (s2) or a ZWave Outlet.

I actually have 3 repeaters, specifically the Aeotec Range Extender 7 with s2 security online/healthy. Never solved this issue.

Last time I tried to disable/re-enable and it gets stuck on adding, I didnt see a zwave command get issued, so I suspect my area is before zwave specifically.

So, I can it on my 3 locks. It solved one of them! Not the other 2…

I installed the Kwikset CH-620 Z-Wave, without problems, despite the documentations. :wink:

Thank you for the recommendation.

Which ZWave server are you running? I personally switched to the ZWave-JS UI one so that I could directly inspect what the codes in the slots are.

A few times I’ve seen issues where there was another slot with the same code I was trying to set, or at least the first 4 digits were the same. I know that on Kwikset locks (or at least the older ones) the first 4 digits have to be unique for some messed up reason, so, while you can have codes that are longer (up to 8 digits) they’ve killed off a large portion of the PIN space by doing that.

If you’re running the HA ZWave-JS (which is what gets installed by default when you add the ZWave integration) then you would need to turn up the logging on it and try resetting the slot code and watch the logs to see if it complains of a code already in use.

A lot of the time codes getting stuck are because the UserCode command class is missing and the lock needs to be re-interviewed. Why I always recommend to install ZwaveJS UI.

No idea. How could I tell? And, how would I switch back and forth?