[Kindle] E-ink Home Info Display

I’ve had it in my mind for the longest time now to put something like this together, I’ve always wanted some sort of info display to show house metrics which could last weeks between charge. I love e-ink displays and always felt it was a natural fit, I finally got round to looking into how or what can be done from a few great examples and sources already done by the community and I am really happy with the outcome.

Have re-purposed my Kindle which was not being touched by jailbreaking and loading up onlinescreensaver which runs a script that pulls an image from any url and refreshes the screen/screensaver a specified time interval (had to google a little and edit the onlinesceensaver files to get it to run consistently with my specific Kindle).

Pair that with this awesome docker container HASS Lovelace Kindle Screensaver and I had all the elements to bring this idea to life.

Along with all that’s being displayed constantly I set up some conditional cards up the top act as notification banners for anything that requires some attention by anyone. Naturally also had to make a day and night mode :slight_smile:

Thought I would share incase someone else finds this helpful or gives them inspiration. Always great to get feedback and see what others come up with.

10 Likes

I especially like the clean dashboard. Would you mind sharing how you did the horizontal aligned parts for gas, electricity?

Looks like custom:multiple-entity-row

Thanks for the inspiration!

Love it, how did you make the dark mode?

Where did you get those person cards?

type: custom:mushroom-person-card
entity: person.tim
use_entity_picture: true
hide_name: true
hide_state: true
1 Like

Not sure where else to ask this, but I built a dashboard using the Lovelace Kindle Screensaver, but I’ve noticed that it doesn’t render CSS properties consistently. I’m using card_mod to allow me to change CSS values, and for some reason my render screenshots keep dropping the font size, bold, and border strength randomly. One rendered screenshot will have the element look proper, and the next time it refreshes, it’s gone. Back and forth…

Anyone else run into something similar? I’m trying to adjust the font size, bold, and border values to make my dashboard more visible.

Here’s mine. Same onlinescreensaver. This is an OG Kindle Paperwhite that had been sitting on a shelf unused for years.

1 Like