Known_devices.yaml

I’ve been abroad for some while now and wasn’t much bussy with Home Assistant updates because I didn’t wanted to mess up my server since I was away. Everything was up and running and working, so no need to change anny of this.

But I’ve updated all now I’m back. But one of the things I noticed was that there had changed something in my asusWRT device tracker.
I believe I’ve solved this one now. But I had to change my device trackers to get it work to. It did not repond to the device tracker configured in the “known_devices.yaml” annymore. I found a double entry of my phone in configuration/devices and it seemed I needed to put the same phone to false in “known_devices.yaml”. But it also seemed that this yaml file is in no need annymore? I don’t see anny newly added devices here annymore when added them to my network. Can annyone confirm this?

I actually liked this yaml file, because I had ordered all known devices in groups here and I had all the needed info of an attached device. Name/MAC adress etc.
I see that newly added devices are found in the configuration/devices and configuration/entities now. But there is just little possible to change or group entities here. Everything is just together in one list and it looks a bit messy to me. I liked my previous yaml setup much more.

I’m still having the folowing yaml-files in use. Are there more besides the known_devices which are not in use annymore?

automations.yaml
customize.yaml
device_trackers.yaml
groups.yaml
known_devices.yaml
lights.yaml
media_players.yaml
persons.yaml
scenes.yaml
scripts.yaml
sensors.yaml
switches.yaml
themes.yaml

Whether the known_devices.yaml file is used anymore is dependent on the integration.

Apparently ASUSWRT is one that no longer uses it.

So you can get rid of those entries in there. But I wouldn’t totally get rid of the file since there are other integrations that still use it.

Unfortunately the user has no control over where the entities get stored.

As far as the other yaml files it really depends on your set up which files are used and/or necessary.

automaions.yaml and scripts.yaml are by default used for storing those integrations using the UI editors.

I assume all of the other files you created to add stuff into split away from your configuration.yaml file. If so then you still need to keep those, too.

1 Like

How do you add devices to ASUSWRT without known_devices.yaml now?

I don’t use that integration but looking at the docs you can set the options in the UI for the integration and I believe it should automatically find your devices and add device_trackers for them.

They just don’t get stored in known_devices.yaml any more. they are stored on the .storage config files.

I have hundreds of devices though, and I only want to track 1. You used to add the MAC address you wanted to known_devices.yaml, and it was done. If I let ASUSWRT add all unknown devices, won’t I end up with hundreds of unwanted entities?

Probably but that’s just the way things are now.

I don’t use the Asus trackers anymore but my Unifi integration does exactly the same thing.

I have to enable/disable all the entities as desired. Not great but it is what it is.