KNX cover integration, position misbehaving

Hi, I am starting to integrate HA in my KNX system. Trying to link a KNX shutter into HA does not give me the right status. 100% is open, and 0% is closed, while it must be the opposite. I tried to use the invert_position flag, but that results in the up/down buttons doing the opposite thing as well. How can I make this work?
The position_state group address only gets called when HA starts, which also seems odd, so I must be doing something wrong.
The config in KNX.YAML:

- name: "Gordijn 1"
      move_long_address: "0/6/1"
      position_state_address: "1/6/1"

Hi :wave:!
See WHY THE HECK can't we freely configure a Cover to interpret its percentage value as "percentage open" or "percentage closed"?

TLDR: unfortunately you can’t (at least not in a 100% perfect way).

When would you expect it to be called? Normally the actuator sends to that address when the cover was moved.

1 Like

Well, if I configure it as an active object (ie the actuator sends after each move), home assistant complains at startup as it cannot query the object (which is normal as per KNX logic). If I make it a passive object, HA should call it at a regular, configurable interval, and not only at startup.

Have a look here https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/knx/#group-address-can-not-be-read.

Not sure what you mean here :grimacing:

Thanks for your responses. In my KNX actuator, I can configure the position status object to be an active signalling object (meaning each time a move is made, the actuator will send it out), or a passive object (meaning the actuator updates the value internally, but another device needs to query it, the actuator does not send it out by himself).
At startup, HA tries to query the status object, meaning HA expects it is a passive object, but after startup HA never calls it again, confused :slight_smile:
So I made it an active signalling object, but still the integration messes with the value, that’s a bummer.

See here for why it is queried https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/knx/#group-addresses

Id use the active status update and set the “Read”-flag for the object so HA can get the status when it is restarted.

Such passive objects are not really supported, as we wouldn’t know when to query the object after a travel.

but still the integration messes with the value, that’s a bummer.

It doesn’t “mess” with it - it solely tries to read its state. That shouldn’t cause any issues - it is a standard KNX thing.

Some other visualisation I use allows for configuring the frequency the status should be queried. But OK each one has it’s peculiarities.
Thanks for the clarifications!

1 Like