KVM Virt-manager .qcow2 very slow

Hi Guys,

I have HA OS on a KVM on nixos on a i5-6500T, and it is very slow, here is my config:

Try changing the CPU to “Copy host CPU configuration”.

I get this error when I check that box:
Error starting domain: unsupported configuration: CPU mode ‘host-passthrough’ for x86_64 qemu domain on x86_64 host is not supported by hypervisor

wondering if I should try some of these:

I’m not positive, but it is likely because either your physical host machine has not been setup for virtualization (there are BIOS settings, and other things for this) or the Hypervisor you’ve chosen in Virt-Manager (Under “Hypervisor Details”) is QEMU TCG whereas it should be “KVM”.

You might need to enable a few settings in your BIOS, but your CPU configuration is also not the best.
It is set up to act like 4 physical distinct CPUs each with one core and one thread.
An I5 will most likely be 1 physical CPU with a number of core, like 4, and one thread, or two threads if hyperthreading is enabled in the BIOS.
You setup is trying to emulate a completely different setup than your hardware is so it will work hard to do it. Make it more similar and it will have to work less.

Thank you all guys, I was able to address the issue by activating the Virtualization in the bios and setting the right parameters in the config, now its super fast. Here is my working config as reference