Kwikset Smartcode Lock

I was having the same issue. I had my 914 on my Ring Alarm and properly removed it from that network. I then tried to add it to my HomeAssistant network and it kept partially working but was missing all of the configuration items and did not have lock/unlock available. My final solution, which worked, was to do the following:

1. Remove the battery and disconnect the inside part of the unit from the keypad (the little cable connector). I left the keypad unit on the door.
  2. Factory reset the unit by holding down the program button (the one in the middle, not A or B buttons) while the battery is still removed, putting the battery back in while still holding down the program button and continuing to hold down the program button for 30 seconds. The unit will beep and the green light in the middle will come on; then you know you can release the program button. This wipes everything including codes and zwave info. (After this, I went ahead and removed the battery, hit the program button once (it will make a squelchy noise), and put the battery back in to be thorough).
  3. Place the unit right next to the zwave controller, initiate an “add device” in the zwave controller web interface, and then press the “A” button on the unit 4 times.
  4. The unit should be added very quickly. You can then remove the battery and reinstall to the door; including reconnecting that little cable connector to the keypad on the outside of the door.

When I had my lock on the door, which is only about 10ft from the controller hardware, adding the lock to zwave would start and show that it had received the protocol info but it would sit there for a very long time and never complete. The device would show up in the devices list as a node named after the node number.

However, when I held it very close to the controller, adding the device took about 5 seconds and was done with all of the right stuff.

My impression is, if the lock still has codes, it may refuse to be included (I know mine still had it’s codes because I tried one of them even after the lock was properly removed from the zwave network and it still unlocked). By the way, I did try bringing the lock very close the the controller without factory resetting it and got the same failed result.

I hope this helps someone else that comes across this thread.

I had a Kwikset that was paired with the Vivint panel in the house I had purchased. The Vivint panel had enabled the Anti Theft feature of the lock and it would not pair with my Home Automation software of the time. If Anti Theft is enabled, the only way to disable it is to disable the feature and exclude the device with the original panel, a factory reset won’t help.

Fortunately I had kept the Vivent panel and was able to get the Master Code from an Internet search because the previous homeowner left no information about it.