Lamp Mechanical Switch

then you are doing things wrong :wink:
first of all, make sure that HA is running when she wants to use it.
so dont play with HA when she is around, only when she is asleep or away.
then take away the need for her to use the switch at all.

let the lamp go on when she only thinks to use the switch!
i case from a lamp that could mean placing a motion detector at the right place. if she reaches for the switch, the lamp should already go on.
better even, if she is in the room and the light is needed, it should turn on automaticly without her reaching for the switch.

my wife doesnt even know how to switch lights in the living area anymore. (except for some rare moment, then she knows that the switches are on the dashboard)

there is really no difference between a wallswitch and a dashboard.

my wife likes a lot of different lights/lamps around the living area.
so she was used to come home in the dark and then walk around trough the living area and turn on lights/lamps on at least 6 different places.
she is very happy that she doesnt need to do so anymore.

add convenience and it will take away the reluctance.

1 Like

Does anyone know of a type of lamp socket that would allow power to the bulb with the ability to connect the switch up to different wires? Can’t see the current one allowing me to do what I want.

1 Like

when i see your pictures it seems that you have a socket and switch as 1 element.
that leaves about zero room to play with.

what you need is a separate socket and a seperate switch
then you can connect the switch to the sonof and the power to the sonof and the sonof to the socket.

I don’t think it is legal or sensible to mix high voltage and low voltage in the same cable.

i dont think doing something like that for yourself can ever be called illegal.
and whats the difference between 2 cables with 2 cores that are bound together with some tape or 1 cable with 4 cores?
it all depends on the isolation.
for the switch is there no risk because it already would be a high voltage switch, and when a fuse is placed the device wont be risked either.

the question is if using high voltage cable and switch would do the trick for something like a sonof

If you lived in Sweden or probably some other EU country it would be illegal to change an outlet or a in wall switch

nope there are no rules about that in the EU. there might be in sweden but i cant imagine. its inside your own home.
all that can happen is that when something goes wrong the insurance wont pay.

changing a wallswitch or outlet would really be stupid if that wasnt allowed while you can buy new and other kind of wallswitches everywhere.

electricians would like you to believe so, because then you pay them to do it :wink:

but we are not talking about wallswitches or outlets anyway.

Not sure I understand why this would be a problem? Care to elaborate?

My thoughts exactly regarding the cable, switch etc.

Although why wouldn’t it do the trick with the Sonoff? I have tested a traditional simple wall switch going from 2.5mm T&E cable to dupont cable (via a terminal block) and it worked fine for telling the Sonoff to switch the relay.

It’s acceptable to the Electric Code in the US as long as all of the conductors are rated at the highest voltage that any wire in the cable will carry.

i didnt know if it would work. i dont know the amount of power that the sonoff sends through the switch loop, thats why i had my questions about that, but if you tested it with 2,5 mm cable and a wallswitch i guess there wouldbt be a problem at all. :wink:

The lamp in question takes a maximum 13W LED bulb, so I can’t see much risk here. Only possible worry I had about mixing high and low voltage in the same cable was interference.

If it’s a short run, then a 4.7K pullup on GPIO14 and a 0.01uF capacitor from GPIO14 to Ground should help with the noise. The internal pullup in the ESP8266 chip is really weak.

It doesn’t make any difference that you do it for yourself, if it is illegal it is illegal. Electrical regulations are made to protect everyone, not just the homeowner

Indeed, but I didn’t say the rules necessarily made sense

To be clear, I am not 100% sure what the regulations say, and they will vary depending where you are. But there are a lot of rules around electrical fittings and mixing voltages in a cable just doesn’t ring “legal” with me.

1 Like

Most municipalities in the U.S. follow the National Electrical Code, so any regulations would likely reference the NEC.

Section 300.3( C )( 1 )

(1) 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less
Conductors of circuits rated 600 volts, nominal, or less, ac circuits, and dc circuits shall be permitted to occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway. All conductors shall have an insulation rating equal to at least the maximum circuit voltage applied to any conductor within the enclosure, cable, or raceway.

I am pretty certain that most Western countries follow the US NEC as well, but don’t quote me on that.

i dont know about the USA, but i do know that there are a lot of electrical regulations here that apply to companies making stuff to sell that dont apply to people doing stuff at home.

at least over here i know that everything electrical behind the powerplugs is the responsibility from the home owner. and i know that its advised to let things do by a proffesional.

but i never heard of anyone being punished for not following the regulations, unless its in a house that he did let to others, or if things are intentionally changed to hurt others.

only insurance will tell you that it needs to be according to regulations when things go wrong and you want them to pay.

dont forget they are called electrical regulations, not electrical laws. :wink:
if its not against the law to create electronic devices when you are not a skilled proffesional, then it cant be against the law, if you dont follow guidelines. and if its not against the law its not illegal.

and if it is, then every ESP, arduino or other electrical DIY project is illegal by itself.

But it does not say a word who are allowed to do it.

Permission is a local issue. The NEC and IEC are just “best practices” guides. Everywhere that I’ve done electrical work allows the homeowner to do their own work as long as the project follows NEC guidelines. Normally, changing fixtures, switches and outlets is “minor repairs” and no permits or permission is required.

My own town says:

“Permits are required from the Building Department for any and all construction not considered a minor repair.”

But they don’t enumerate what is a “minor repair”. You still have to ask.

i would even ask if they tell me to.
who is going to know what i do inside my own home?

A regulation is a law.