So my db will never get purged. :laughing:

2 Likes

Well today I learned purge is useless to me lol

docker run --net=host --restart=always --name mysql -d \
  -e 'DB_USER=hass' -e 'DB_PASS=pass' -e 'DB_NAME=homeassistant' \
  sameersbn/mysql:latest

Thanks for the commands.

I ran these commands.

How do I run MySQL queries inside docker container? Do I have to stop HomeAssistant?

pi@rpi3:~ $ docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                    COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS                       PORTS               NAMES
2e30442c73e3        sameersbn/mysql:latest   "/sbin/entrypoint...."   5 hours ago         Restarting (1) 2 hours ago                       mysql

Just curious about Docker container.

Depends if you have a MySQL client installed on your host machine.

Assuming you don’t, you can install something like PhpMyAdmin if you want a user interface for it. You can probably use

docker run --name myadmin -d -p 8080:80 phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin

I haven’t used that myself, so you might need to tinker with the command to point phpmyadmin to your MySQL server.

Otherwise, you can execute commands from the command line. First you’ll need to get access to the dockers command line

docker exec -it mysql /bin/bash

Now you’re inside the docker container, let’s access the MySQL client by command line

mysql -u hass -p

Enter your password, then switch to your home assistant database

use homeassistant

Ok. I have done a lot of read and setup mysql on my system. I have set the purge of the data base for two days but it don’t seem to be working. Noticed that my disk usage keeps climbing every day.
I have tried to find the data base on my system but cant seem to locate where it is. Is there a way to manually purge it to see if that is whats eating up my disk?

Hi there, i made a little script to manually purge my HA MySQL DB.

#!/bin/bash

HOST='mysql_server'
DB='HA_DB'
USER='username'
PW='password'

# Delete older than 7 days
BEFORE=$(date --date="7 days ago" +%Y-%m-%d)" 00:00:00"

query="DELETE FROM states WHERE created < '$BEFORE'"
echo "$query" | mysql -h$HOST -D$DB -u$USER -p$PW

query="DELETE FROM events WHERE created < '$BEFORE'"
echo "$query" | mysql -h$HOST -D$DB -u$USER -p$PW

Use at your own risk. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Purges run - as @arsaboo said - every 48 hours or so. I say “or so” because in testing this I discovered it to actually happen somewhere towards the end of hour 48 and hour 49. This is going to change at some point soon according to this discussion:

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/6302

But there’s no PR associated so I can’t tell you when this will happen.

If you’re using MySQL and still running low on space, even after purges run, it might be due to the size of your ibdata1 file not resizing after the purge. The file /var/lib/mysql/ibdata1 is the system tablespace for the InnoDB infrastructure. If you’re using InnoDB as your engine, this is default behavior - annoying as it is - to store everything on one file. But it can be fixed.

The only way to shrink this is to dump the tables into a backup, shutdown MySQL, delete the ibdata1 file and then restore the backups. Before doing so, I would advise reading this article as it lays out not only the steps to do this but why this is the default behavior in the first place and how to fix it.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2016/02/mysql-innodb-file-per-table/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheGeekStuff+(The+Geek+Stuff)

I’ve been in tuning mode lately and this is something I plan on trying soon although I am not in a hurry as I have a lot of empty space still on my Pi. But it may be another consideration for me moving to influx depending on how it handles this type of thing.

Hope this helps!

Hello @rpitera. What is the benefit to split one file on many. It’s not clear will these files reduce their size after data deleting. I guess not.

I’m still researching the answer to that myself. The dump and restore has it’s obvious advantage of reclaiming the space but I’m still trying to figure out what the advantage is going forward.

Initial research has led me to this in the MySQL docs, which does seem to list some clear advantages to this approach:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/innodb-multiple-tablespaces.html

To be clear, I am not doing anything until I read enough to feel comfortable in doing this and would probably do a full image backup before attempting anything. I’d strongly suggest others do the same.

FWIW, MySQL 5.6 enables innodb_file_per_table by default.

I have nothing in that dir. Hmmm

At all? You should at least see the db dirs. Maybe you installed it to another directory?

Here’s what mine looks like:

Yes I have nothing in there.
I did install Hass in Virtualenv maybe I did the same with mysql.
Is there a way to find it?

find / -iname '*ibdata1*'

Probably want to run that as:

sudo find / -iname '*ibdata1*'

Ah yes its there but I can not see it with Bitvise browser.

I knew it had to be; otherwise you’d be having some issues! :wink:

Haha.
Just setting up samba to see if that will show me the contents of the folder.
Nope. Cant see it there either.

I use WinSCP myself. That or the configurator editor that @danielperna84 created.

Downloaded WinSCP and tried. I dont understand.