Last time motion was detected (not last changed nor cleared)

How can I get the time from the last motion detection. Not last changed nor cleared.

1 Like

Last changed AND state on.

If I may join in here:

I am currently solving the problem with a ā€œdummyā€ automation and a template sensor, which is working fine. This way I can output the attribute last_triggered as a timestamp.

Although I have now tried countless combinations, it is unfortunately still not clear to me how I can generate a timestamp using your solution.

"{{ states.binary_sensor.bewegungsmelder_garderobe.last_changed and is_state('binary_sensor.bewegungsmelder_garderobe', 'on') }}"

will give me True or False - so far so good.

But

"{{ as_timestamp(states.binary_sensor.bewegungsmelder_garderobe.last_changed) and is_state('binary_sensor.bewegungsmelder_garderobe', 'on')) }}"

is doing the same. I donā€˜t get it.

Try this:

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      last_movement:
        friendly_name: "Last Movement"
        value_template: "{{ as_timestamp(states.binary_sensor.bewegungsmelder_garderobe.last_changed) if is_state('binary_sensor.bewegungsmelder_garderobe', 'on') else states('sensor.last_movement') }}"

Or written to be more easily read:

sensor:
    sensors:
      last_movement:
        friendly_name: "Last Movement"
        value_template: >
          {% if is_state('binary_sensor.bewegungsmelder_garderobe', 'on') %}
            {{ as_timestamp(states.binary_sensor.bewegungsmelder_garderobe.last_changed) }}
          {% else %}
            {{ states('sensor.last_movement') }}
          {% endif %}

Or you could use the newly introduced trigger based sensors:

template:
  - trigger:
      - platform: state
        entity_id: binary_sensor.bewegungsmelder_garderobe
        to: 'on'
    sensor:
      - name: "Last Movement"
        state: "{{ as_timestamp(states.binary_sensor.bewegungsmelder_garderobe.last_changed) }}"
9 Likes

Itā€™s awesome, I wouldnā€™t have thought of that in a million years!
Thank you very much.

And as soon as you can place the new sensors in packages, Iā€™ll try that out too, thanks for pointing that out.

Hi Guys,

Iā€™ve have a motion sensor which become unavailable occasionally, I want to see when was last time this sensor has detected motion.

If I use the solution provided by @tom_l Iā€™m able to get the time stamp when it was last detected, But I want to see the value as 1 hours ago or 1 hours 15 mins ago instead or time stamp. (Just like how it shows in {{ relative_time(states.binary_sensor.pir.last_changed) }})

Can any one help me how can I do this.

FYI I tried the following but it is not working

sensors:
    couch_last_movement:
      friendly_name: Couch Last Occupied
      value_template: >
        {% if states('binary_sensor.pir') in [ 'on', 'off' ] %}
          {{ relative_time(states.binary_sensor.pir.last_changed) }}
        {% else %}
          {{ states('sensor.couch_last_movement') }}
        {% endif %}

That looks fine to me. What does the template editor tell you?

Old post but to finish it off the state returned is I think correct but maybe not readable for me or I did something wrong:

- trigger:
        entity_id: binary_sensor.philips_motion_sensor_4_occupancy
        to: 'on'
    sensor:
      - name: "Last Movement"
        state: "{{ as_timestamp(states.binary_sensor.philips_motion_sensor_4_occupancy.last_changed) | timestamp_custom('%H:%M') }}"

You can see my minimal skills are trying to pipe it to something readable but I know this isnt correct.
The state returned with or without my experiment is

Can someone point me in the right direction most of the information I am finding show time returned that just has too much information like year that people what parsed out. I am not sure if that state is even a form of time

- trigger:
      entity_id: 
      - binary_sensor.eingangstur
      - 'off'
      - 'on'
      to: 
      - 'on'
      - 'off'
  sensor:
  - name: "EingangstĆ¼r {{ 'geschlossen' if trigger.to_state.state == 'off' else 'geƶffnet' }}"
    unique_id: status_eingangstuer
    state: "{{ now().strftime('%T') }}"
    icon: mdi:door-{{ 'closed' if trigger.to_state.state == 'off' else 'open' }}

computes:

Bild

https://strftime.org/

Thanks for the initial work here; however, I noticed that (at least in my case) the logic for the last change is incorrect.
I wanted to use a template sensor to store when we have the last motion in a room; however, if you enter the room at the moment T0, then the value from the last_changed attribute is the correct one. My motion sensor is configured to report every 10 seconds. So, at the moment in time, T0+10s, if I move the value from last_changed, it will remain T0 and for me, this causes issues.

How I setup this sensor is:

- name: "0.BJ last-motion"
      unique_id: 'sensor.0_bj_last_motion'
      icon: mdi:motion-sensor
      state: >
        {% set motionSensor = 'binary_sensor.0_bj_motion_occupancy' %}
        {% if is_state(motionSensor, 'on') %}
          {% set last_changed = as_timestamp(states[motionSensor].last_changed) %}
          {% set now_ts = as_timestamp(now()) %}
          {% if last_changed+10<now_ts %}
            {{ now_ts }}
          {% else %}
            {{ last_changed }}
          {% endif %}
        {% else %}
          {{ states('sensor.0_bj_last_motion') }}
        {% endif %}

even so, Iā€™m not fully happy. I would have loved to do it based on triggers; basically, when attribute last_updated from ā€˜binary_sensor.0_bj_motion_occupancyā€™ sensor changes, then execute my logic.
Unfortunately, I tried such a trigger in automation, and it didnā€™t trigger, secondly, the documentation is useless as I do not know where to write the code and have the right indentation.

Iā€™m relatively new to HA, so I have problems with replies like this. The code is self-explanatory, but nobody ever says where this code goes. Does this go in the yaml config of the device? Or does it go in configuration.yaml? Or somewhere else?

The way I wrote it the config goes in configuration.yaml.

It is a very old topic. Be careful, a lot can be out of date.

The best way to understand where it goes is to look up the integrations in the documentation.

1 Like