Latency in Aqara Cube events

I’ve been playing around with an Aqara Cube, and I noticed that it’s got significant latency of 1-2 seconds reporting events compared to other Zigbee devices. For example, I have an Aqara Toggle right beside the cube, connected to the same router. If I flip the cube onto it’s side, and then press the toggle button, the toggle press fires a ZHA event before the Cube flip event is fired. This means there’s noticeable lag when controlling lights with the cube as compared to other Zigbee devices.

I’ve re-paired the cube, so I’m wondering if this is just an issue with it taking time to “settle” to detect the right kind of event to send. I guess that would be fine for scene switching and the like, but I wonder if this is a common issue and if there are any workarounds.

I recently switched to zigbee2mqtt, and I see the same latency with the cube when looking at the MQTT messages directly. I’m fairly sure this is a limitation of the device, and not a software issue.

I think I will limit my use of the cubes to “states” and not “transitions”, such as “going to bed” versus “turn to change the light brightness”.

1 Like