Latest Supervisor wont start

Thanks, worked for me too!!

If anyone has my problem, it seems that apparmor kernel modules were not loading for some reason. I switched to an older kernel, reinstalled the latest kernel, and rebooted. It came back up after that.

Thank you, this worked for me. Not sure how the hell you figured it out based on the error messages but I’m glad you are way better at this than I am. :slight_smile:

Helped me to fix it… Tnx.

Hi @kevincw01 @bkprath @CentralCommand , I am pretty much facing the exact same problem and I am using HomeAssistant OS on RaspberryPi,
so no apt-get cmds that are applicable in the docker/containerized environment.

My docker version is 19.03 and current supervisor is, I think 2022.06.2,
I am hearing from some discussion by @GSzabados that this new supervisor would need docker version 20+ to install the 2022.07.0 supervisor. This seems like a deadlock to me… I

How can I manage to solve this then?
NOTE: I do have access to the files in HAssOS. Is there something ugly that can be done?

I am not sure if this would work tbh. Its easier to just reimage/restore. But perhaps?

docker stop hassio_supervisor
docker kill hassio_supervisor
docker rm --force hassio_supervisor

then
docker pull homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-supervisor:2022.06.2
or
ha supervisor upgrade --version 2022.06.2

But I still that will try to install 2022.07 and fail because of your docker version. :slight_smile: reimage. Frankly, even if you did get the supervisor under control, you don’t know if the rest of your install is corrupted. You haven’t even got there yet.

1 Like

The folks on the discord advised me to update hass os from the local command line incrementally (6, then 7 and finally latest 8.x) with ha os update --version 6.0 . This didn’t work for me so they suggested downloading the latest hass os image and flashing it to my SSD.
This did work.

This issue (for users with hass os, not a custom supervisor docker on Linux) was likely caused because I was on an old hass os (v5.13). Many of us were not updating the OS because there were bootloader issues with rpi and USB 3 SSD after that version and we were afraid to upgrade. Luckily this update did not cause a bootloader issue for me and my system was already down so I was willing to take the risk since I had nothing to lose.

The reflash of the SSD wipes your config. Luck for me I have been using the samba backup addon to save nightly ha backups to my nas. After the SSD flash and I did the initial web login to ha, I restored my configuration from a backup by uploading the most recent backup file from nas. Initially hass didn’t recover but I tried a supervisor restart from the local command line and that fixed it.

2 Likes

Damn this sucked a little. My HASS was acting weird and supervisor was down so I rebooted my NUC and everything died. After googling, I found this thread and this didn’t work for me because I was on ubuntu 19.04 and docker 20 doesn’t support that -___-. So I had to manually update ubuntu to 20.04 and then running these fixed it for me. Thanks all!
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io -y
docker pull homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor
sudo systemctl restart hassio-supervisor.service

hm okay now this is weird. Anyone seeing this? If I reboot my system, the supervisor doesn’t come up nicely and I have to sudo systemctl restart hassio-supervisor.service to get my home assistant URL to work.

I’m on Ubuntu docker on NUC, and I know its not supported :slight_smile:

Why you would like to install 2022.06.2? That is the one which is causing the issue. 2022.07.0 has already the code to verify if CgVersion is set or not, and it does not error if the CgVersion is not set.

But if you are running HA OS, then I would follow @kevincw01’s suggestion to update the OS as it should have been done a long time ago.

@OkayTrain121, generally as going forward, you will need docker version 20+, but the main issue comes from supervisor 2022.06.2 where it errors if the CgVersion is not set. But 2022.07.0 has a check for CgVersion and if it is not set, then it will not error and fail.

3 Likes

Thanks for this update.
I just came from vacation to a dead HA and after some hopeless poking I have found your post which saved me for today.
I am still on docker 19.03 without easy update path (OS upgrade is on my TODO list for quite some time :wink: ), so I tried going straight to 2022.07 and it works!
So simply deleting all present supervisor docker images and then

docker image pull homeassistant/armhf-hassio-supervisor

did the trick for me.

1 Like

This was the solution for me. Thanks a ton.

I was able to get Home Assistant working by updating as everyone says. But I shouldn’t have needed to do so in the first place!! I’m echoing the request for allowing auto-updates on supervisor be disabled. I have my setup working as I need it to, and shouldn’t wake up to an installation broken by an update I didn’t trigger!
Please.

5 Likes

I am in the same boat as everyone else here - luckily:
sudo apt-get install docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io
Fixed it - but this is yet another broken HASS headache - and should be FRONT and CENTER on the Forums for the thousands affected.

1 Like

hi nigerninja,

where will you echo that request? I will back you up!

I think there are many like me with a production setup and a pre-production setup. My “production” is the core of my smart home, runs on an old version of HA but does everything it needs to do. My “pre-production” is a test setup to see if I need to upgrade/test new devices/integrations.

Mario

Ive got a same problem.
Recently i have restarted my system (which previously had an uptime of several hundreds of days) and after the restart supervisor started to die every few minutes and it was not possible to update it to the latest (2022.07) version.
I have tried to fix a problem by fixing each of reasons my system was not compliant:

• updated Buster to Bullseye
  • updated docker to 20.10.17
  • disabled avahi daemon from starting via systemctl
  • added systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0 to kernel parameters
  • installed os-agent
  • added correct log-driver and storage-driver options to /etc/docker/daemon.json
    and this only made it worse, now the supervisor doesnt start at all.
22-07-21 11:02:34 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'availability' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:02:34 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.checks.base] Run check for IssueType.FREE_SPACE/ContextType.SYSTEM
22-07-21 11:02:34 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.checks.base] Run check for IssueType.SECURITY/ContextType.CORE
22-07-21 11:02:34 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.checks.base] Run check for IssueType.TRUST/ContextType.SUPERVISOR
22-07-21 11:02:34 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.host.manager] Host information reload completed
22-07-21 11:02:35 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.check] System checks complete
22-07-21 11:02:35 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluate] Starting system evaluation with state CoreState.RUNNING
22-07-21 11:02:35 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] Found unsupported images: {'guacamole/guacd', 'linuxserver/mariadb', 'lunik1/tt-rss', 'viktorstrate/photoview', 'linuxserver/piwigo'', 'jlesage/crashplan-pro', 'deepquestai/deepstack', 'linuxserver/sonarr', 'linuxserver/heimdall', 'linuxserver/calibre-web', 'guacamole/guacamole', 'dyonr/jackettvpn', 'linuxserver/radarr', 'jlesage/firefox', 'linuxserver/lidarr', 'portainer/portainer-ce', 'jacobalberty/unifi', 'linuxserver/grocy', 'binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn', 'linuxserver/swag', 'flaresolverr/flaresolverr', 'postgres'} (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/software)
22-07-21 11:02:36 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluate] System evaluation complete
22-07-21 11:02:36 CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] The following job conditions are ignored and will make the system unstable when they occur: {<JobCondition.HEALTHY: 'healthy'>}
22-07-21 11:02:36 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.fixup] Starting system autofix at state CoreState.RUNNING
22-07-21 11:02:36 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.fixup] System autofix complete
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'anonymous' does not exist in the schema for Mosquitto broker (core_mosquitto)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Unknown option 'base_topic' for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'external_converters' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'devices' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'groups' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'homeassistant' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'permit_join' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'advanced' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'device_options' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'blocklist' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'passlist' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'queue' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)

22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'frontend' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)

22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'experimental' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
22-07-21 11:06:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.options] Option 'availability' does not exist in the schema for Zigbee2MQTT (45df7312_zigbee2mqtt)
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: stopping
22-07-21 11:08:59 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.misc.scheduler] Shutting down scheduled tasks
[10:09:00] INFO: Watchdog restart after closing
s6-svwait: fatal: supervisor died
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: stopping
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: stopping
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully stopped
22-07-21 11:09:00 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api] Stopping API on 172.30.32.2
22-07-21 11:09:00 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.hardware.monitor] Stopped Supervisor hardware monitor
22-07-21 11:09:00 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.core] Supervisor is down - 0
22-07-21 11:09:00 INFO (MainThread) [__main__] Closing Supervisor
Sentry is attempting to send 1 pending error messages
Waiting up to 2 seconds
Press Ctrl-C to quit
[10:09:01] WARNING: Halt Supervisor
s6-linux-init-hpr: fatal: unable to talk to shutdownd: Operation not permitted
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: starting
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully started
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: starting
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: starting
cont-init: info: running /etc/cont-init.d/udev.sh
[10:36:10] INFO: Setup udev backend inside container
[10:36:10] INFO: Update udev information
cont-init: info: /etc/cont-init.d/udev.sh exited 0
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: starting
services-up: info: copying legacy longrun supervisor (no readiness notification)
services-up: info: copying legacy longrun watchdog (no readiness notification)
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully started
[10:36:12] INFO: Watchdog restart after closing
[10:36:12] INFO: Supervisor restart after closing
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: starting
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully started
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: starting
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: starting
cont-init: info: running /etc/cont-init.d/udev.sh
[11:18:46] INFO: Setup udev backend inside container
[11:18:46] INFO: Update udev information
cont-init: info: /etc/cont-init.d/udev.sh exited 0
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: starting
services-up: info: copying legacy longrun supervisor (no readiness notification)
services-up: info: copying legacy longrun watchdog (no readiness notification)
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully started
[11:18:48] INFO: Starting local supervisor watchdog...
[11:18:50] INFO: Watchdog restart after closing
[11:18:50] INFO: Supervisor restart after closing

Im running out of ideas how to make it work. I can run HA manually, but Zwavejs2mqtt doesnt start when run manually without the supervisor and without it i cannot control the heating and ventilation at my home.
I fully understand that my setup is currently not supported, but ive been successfully using it for the past few years, it was supported at the time i have installed the supervisor and working perfectly fine until now. Is there an option to disable auto updates of the supervisor?

I have been quite frustrated as well. I have two identical setups and both exhibit the “crash” but not always at the same time.
I have tried the suggestions above but the ha system is always down in the morning.
My issue is that the timers are not working when the system is in its hiatus state. Not good. I discovered through portainer that the ha container was down. using the docker restart command, things go back working; until the next failure, which could be 24 hours later or maybe even 3 weeks.
From the docker supervisor logs it appears code is running attempting to do updates every morning (eastern time GMT-5) and strategically shuts down 172.30.32.2 which is the container for homeassistant and fails to restart by itself
So, the solution i came up with was to write a script and initialize it through crontab: basically testing port 8123 and if it was non-responsive, do a docker container restart. it essentially puts my systems back online but doesn’t solve the problem of why it fails. I have had this suspicion it has something to do with the backend engine doing system analysis with the mother ship. (the failures seem to occur around the same time of the day) and now from reading these responses I think that is exactly what my cause is.

here is the script: test_port.sh
#-----------------start-------------------
#script to test port satus
HOST=$1
PORT=$2
if [ -z $HOST ];
then echo “host needs to be established”;
exit 1;
fi
$(echo > /dev/tcp/${HOST}/${PORT}) #> /dev/nul 2>&1;
if [ $? -eq 0 ];

uncomment this next line; however, it fills up the log too fast - all we really care about is failure

#then echo “the port $2 is open on:” $(date) #>> /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/test_8123.log;
exit
else
echo “the port $2 is closed on:” $(date) >> /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/test_8123.log;
docker restart $(docker ps -a -q);

this puts the log data in the directory available for the file editor for easy troubleshooting

echo “docker restart ran:” $(date) >> /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/test_8123.log;
exit 0
fi
#----------------end----------------

next, do a crontab -e and schedule to run this script (however you want) for (in my case) every 15 minutes.

Perhaps an upgrade along the way will fix this permanently but in the mean time this keeps mine running

I think I have managed to resolve the issue - and the solution was actually provided above :slight_smile: As per my last message, after updating everything on the host system and putting it it’s tiptop shape I’ve been still struggling with the supervisor not starting. So then I have updated the supervisor image via docker pull command on the host and then everything started working

This was one of the worst days to simple update and reboot Ubuntu (Yes, another Ubuntu user). Many tanks to those for providing the solution. Took a reboot or two to get it all back on track again.

Moving to Debian is still on the list, but there’s a lot on that list lately.

1 Like

My Home Assistant just died with cryptic errors. I was thinking it was a dead SSD, but turns out my docker is just on version 19 like many people mentioned here.

Such (literally) breaking changes should’ve been alerted when trying to update.

Trying to update docker to see if it will run…

EDIT: sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo reboot now did the trick.