LD2410 esphome tips

Just for info. Tried in the app the restart button actually restarts the sensor itself without turning off BT.
I also tried upgrading the sensor, but the problem there is that everything goes fine and at the end it displays information (reconnect the sensor). After connecting I still see the original fw version. I’ve tried unplugging the sensor from power, rebooting, but that doesn’t help. Does anyone know if there is anything else that needs to be done?

I made it work with Espresense using the output pin as a pull-up radar under GPIO Sensors configuration and it’s pretty damm reliable, however the detection distance is just 4 meters instead of 6 ¿Any experiences with this?? I had to adjust sensitivity to Ranges 0 and 1 to 20, otherwise it was never low in my tests.

I was able to make it work using GitHub - rain931215/ESPHome-LD2410: ESPHome LD2410 mmWave Radar Sensor Custom Component

However, I had first to flash the d1 mini and then connect the sensor, for some reason I was not able to get into flashing mode with it connected

1 Like

BTW, this sensor doesn’t work as a replacement for the DFRobot mmwave, if you don’t move it will turn off

I don’t use the sensor as a sleep monitor. I use it to monitor the kitchen and if I’m sitting at the table and can read without moving it works very reliably. I also use the LD1115H sensor, which works just as reliably in another room. It is 100% reliable for my purposes so far.

1 Like

I might take partially back my own words haha, I’ve been playing with the max distance values and seems way better now… still not at the level of the dfrobot but hey, it’s WAY cheaper too!

Yes, you have to play around with the settings. The horizontal and vertical settings are also important if you have it in the corner of the room on the wall like I do.
I consider it the best occupancy sensor considering the price and usability. Of course, it will probably never match a sensor at 10x the price, but it works for my purposes.

What configuration are you using btw? I’m not seeing sensitivity settings, only max distance. I’m using this repo GitHub - rain931215/ESPHome-LD2410: ESPHome LD2410 mmWave Radar Sensor Custom Component

As I wrote above, I use LD2410B sensors and set them using an app on my phone via Bluetooth.
All parameters such as movement distance, sensitivities for each zone separately, number of zones and transition time from on to off can be set.
I have the esp module set as a simple binary sensor only.

what’s the name of the app?

The app is called HLKRadar. There was also a download link in some thread, but I don’t know exactly where.

thanks for all the info ! i was wondering if you guys have issues containing the detection to one room ? i tried the RCWL-0516 before but unfortunatly it covered 3 rooms since it’s 360 degrees and through walls, i’m planning to install this in my wall light switches since they already have esp8266s in them, do you think i will have trouble with it detecting neighbours and people in the next room ? can this be fixed with the module sensetivity config ? also how are the false positives and reliability on this module ? does it detect movement or presence with the heaters on ? i know it’s an issue on quite a few pir sensors, thanks !

I placed the LD2410B sensor in the corner of the kitchen at a height of 2.2m and with a vertical tilt of about 20°. The kitchen (one entrance) 4x3m is adjacent to the living room, bathroom and bedroom. The detection is recorded only in the kitchen at the level of the entrance to the kitchen immediately. When leaving the room, it takes an evaluation of the switched-off state according to the settings (here approx. 3-5s).
The settings will be individual for each environment where you place the sensor.
The sensor is not sensitive to heat sources, but to the movement of, for example, a fan or moving curtains in a draft.

1 Like

awesome ! thanks a lot i hadn’t thought about moving objects lol… especially fans with a metal cage…

Anyone here made a presence sensor with LD2410 and a PIR, AM312?

Hi. I have the same setup as you. How is the ‘has moving target’ sensor working for you? I noticed it doesn’t trigger reliable as the other 2 below it.

Oh sorry I haven’t look at that one, was interested only on the occupancy sensor

I’m using this sensor with an esp32 under esphome and it seems to work well on the test bench but I need to see how it behaves when things are further away. So far on the test bench the has moving will stop if i’m very still and stop breathing.

So far on the test bench the has moving will stop if i’m very still and stop breathing.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the has moving sensor acts like a pir sensor. From close up (sitting on a table), it triggers on/off with every movements. However, when I place it on the wall and I am only a few feet away, it doesn’t trigger with every movements.

I am still trying to understand what is the output on the sensor do? I tried hooking up to GPIO5 pin on the d1 mini and create a binary sensor. It seems to be the same as the has target sensor.

LD2410 + ESP8266 Setup observation.

This is my second setup. The first one is identical but is enclosed in a box which I am not too thrilled about, but it is kinda hidden next to the microwave. I decide to go bare as possible and to double side tape onto a single usb block.

I am more interested with the cabinet has moving target sensor., though it seems to not trigger with distance of more than 12 feet reliable. I have tried settings both the sliders but does not help. Possibly it is for the other 2 sensors below it.