LD2410 esphome tips

Working on a LD2410 esp32. I haven’t had luck using the uart connection, so I am going to program it and then just use the single output.

I found the tool here. I hope it doesn’t contain any malware, unlikely, but no guarantee’s from me. I found the link for the tool on the aliexpress sale page here.

So, first tip, the abs. delay setting is the “all clear” timer. This should help prevent false all clear reporting a little, just like a pir timer.

6 Likes

I Don’t know if you have seen this, but the author is pretty reliable 24GHz Radar Presence Detector that Works (LD2410) - YouTube

Ah, you are correct. I did not find his liked file in the comments, but they are there.

I watched it once. But I didn’t think he covered the abs delay setting.

what are the advantage of using the UART respect to single output? I am waiting for some parts to complete the project, but since I am using a ESP01 i cant connect the LD2410 direct to ESP input without a level shifter. With the UART data can I create a binary sensor? (sorry if this question looks silly)

The UART will allow the sensor’s settings to be configured on the fly and provides more granular output, such as the estimated distance to target and separate statistics for motion & motionless targets.

Thing is, I don’t need any of that. Once the sensor has been configured, I’d rather just use the single output, as it simplifies things, reduces workload on the MCU and doesn’t use a hardware UART.

The behaviour of the single output isn’t ideal, though. I’ve found it only switches on if the motion target goes above threshold, not the motionless, then only switches off if both modes go below threshold. I’d rather it switched on if motionless is detected, since that ability is the main advantage these sensors have over a PIR. This may leave me with no option but to use the UART.

It would also be nice if the sensor had the ability to switch the radio on & off, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that feature.

1 Like

From your post I understand if I configure the sensor on the test board and then move it to the final board, I configure a simple binary sensor so it will work with the setup in the test.
I understand it well?

I haven’t had any luck personally getting it to work at all.

The single output is 3.3v, I wonder if that was my problem and I need a level shifter.

I gave up on it for the time being.

UART wasn’t working for me either.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve done. As I mentioned before, the behaviour isn’t perfect for my use, but it is possible. I’ve currently got it attached to a NodeMCU flashed with Tasmota (no level shifter necessary for ESP8266, 3.3V output is already ideal), and configured it as if it were a PIR. It shows up as just a binary sensor in Home Assistant. I imagine ESPHome would be similar.

The simplest way to configure the sensor is to connect the UART to a USB-Serial adapter and just use the utility that the OP describes. You can write the configuration to the sensor using that utility. If you have the ‘kit’ that includes the adapter board, then that board has a CH340 and micro USB port on it, making this process pretty trivial.

I have mine attached to a nodemcu with both the digital and serial working (sort of). Id really like to be able to adjust its settings with the sensor installed in its final (inaccessible) location without needing a 3 meter long usb cable (I know the bluetooth version solves this issue). I’ve found two ESPhome projects for the LD2410:

With which esphome libraries are you getting the best results?

MFM

2 Likes

Does anyone know the difference between the LD2410B and LD2410C sensors?

1 Like

Hello all,

i have some LD1115H and it works like a charm with this config : https://github.com/patrick3399/Hi-Link_mmWave_Radar_ESPHome

but 2410 is not (yet) implement…

You can set all that you expected too : movement_time, clearance_time, TH1, TH2 !

Combined with a wemos D1 Mini, you have a reliable and cheap detection/occupancy sensor!

You need to adjust TH1 and TH2 with a splider under HA to the setting fits to your needs : i adjust TH1 to 900 and TH2 to 800 because it detects through 2 drywall lol! i just need movement detection and occupancy when i am in the room where the sensor is, not more, not less, and with an automation i turn_on and turn_off the light off the room, there is almost 1s of delay to turn_on, what is really awesome!

Enjoy

https://github.com/rain931215/ESPHome-LD2410

works great, thanks @mxander

1 Like

I have noticed last night that the LD2410 is 3.3V !! I am struggleling with the UART serial, I can’t understand if LD2410 high level is still 3.3V or 5V. I’ve tested with a level shifter with no success. Maybe my bad.

I got it working with the serial adapter with the jumper on the 5 volt setting. Also got it working, connected to a nodemcu esp8266 board and a separated 5v power supply.
Feeding the LD2410 with 5 volt and connect the serial pins to the 3.3 volt gpios got me worried but it is working like a charm.

1 Like

I think the same, but the ESP8266 is not 5V tolerant, might work for a while and suddenly say Bye Bye… I’m thinking to make a board and print it with some online service, in that case i could use 2 BSS138 on both RX-TX.
Digital output from LD at 3.3V, as you say works like a charm, I’ll mount on my dining room for testing. I’m only bothered just cause when my cat meaoww the sensor triggers… :smiley:

I believe LD2410’s TX and RX are also 3.3V (think I’ve read it somewhere) that’s why I’ve connected them to the ESP8266 GPIOs.

Yes! UART 3.3V
Check the reviews,

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ez1VQE5

1 Like

I just received some LD2410B sensors and tried the Android app for setup. App works fine, sensor found, graph works, all values etc. only one problem, all setting elements and others are Chinese characters.
Is there an English language version somewhere?

This is the link to the English Android app that HiLink posted on their AliExpress listing for the LD2410B: HLKRadarTool

The page is mostly Chinese, but the app is English. At least, it was when I gave it a try.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try it. The app I have is in Chinese, I made screenshots and translated it into my language, which will probably be enough, there is not much that cannot be remembered. Just one question: there is a factory reset button in the app which, according to the warning, disconnects the sensor from BT and has to be turned on again, and a button to restart the module which I hope just restarts the module without disconnecting it from BT?
I have a red dot under the fw version item (can be upgraded), is this an upgrade of the sensor itself?