LED lights killing 12v PSU?

So, the LEDs turned out pretty sweet! However, within 5 minutes of running them I noticed my 12v 8A power supply basicly gave up. I know this is quite a lot of LEDs but just how much current do I need to supply?

It didn’t blow a fuse, but seemed to just get really hot and give up. Powered down and once it cooled down, away it went again.

So question, how much current would 2x 6m LED strips in parallel draw? These are plain white 3014 LED strips with quite a few LEDs

Am I better off going for a LED driver or is a LED driver just a power supply? Im also looking at dimming.

Thanks!

The specs are 10W/m (from the documentation you provided), 2x6m=120W. Power supply is 12x8=96W

You need a more powerful power supply.

So im getting 10A / 120W would be the recommended power supply, would go to 12 or 16 to give some wiggle room.

I would not have thought a 8A would give up the ghost so quickly though.

Im considering using a server PSU

Have a look at the Mean Well supplies from Jaycar. I have used them in lots of high power demand projects.

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/mean-well-150w-12v-12-5a-power-supply/p/MP3291?pos=3&queryId=296da3b334d24988281be54756a097bb&sort=relevance&searchText=mean%20well

Expect a minimum resource reserve for LED strips of 20%