Led strip setup

Hello community !
I want your help concerning something i have no idea how to setup , which is controlling my 12V LED lights using ESP8266
using this setup , my LED strip is instantly ON even when they are OFF in HA, and turning them on using my HA control panel , it lowers the brightness , changing the rgb config makes the colors go nuts and all over the place

Here is a little schema showing how i have set everything up :

any help would be appriciated , thank you !

1 Like

What you have there is a fire in the waiting.

I did a quick search and found a good article that describes a proper way.

Hope its of help.

Hey @Akriss , thank you for your helpful reply ! i’m a complete electonics idiot , and i wanted to ask you , what is the point of transistors in the schema provided in the link above ?

The esp8266 works on 3.3 volts so it’s incapable of supplying the 12 volts that the led’s require. And hooking up a 12 volt line directly to the esp is a bad idea.

That where the MOSFETs (transistors) comes. They are (basically) electric switches. They separate the 3 volt and 12 v.

Some MOSFET info:

Hope it’s of help

@Akriss Great ! thank you for the information , just one last question ( sorry for bothering you ) , it’s currently 1 am where i’m at , and i managed to get my hands on a 12v power supply laying around the house and i used it’s Positive line to power up the LED strip , i powered the ESP8862 with a usb cable , set the GND to the negative line of the power supply , added the RGB , to D1 , D2 , D3 respectively , my LED STRIP IS FULLY LIT , and i can’t control anything using home assistant still , seems every configuration i do doesn’t affect the strip …

A much simpler way to do it, unless you really want to learn electronics’s. Would be to buy a off the shelf led controller and reprogram it.

Something like a :

And program it with:
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Getting-Started/

Hope its of help.

Thank you, For technologies and academic projects visit our website
VLSI Projects For M.techvlsi-projects-for-m-tech-500x500 Takeoff Edu Group.