Legacy Zigbee2MQTT Lutron Aurora Dimmer Control

First, huge shout out to drinfernoo. I used their original blueprint and the comments by other community members to debug this blueprint and figure out how to make it work.

This blueprint allows you to control any dimmable light using a Lutron Aurora dimmer knob, integrated via Zigbee2MQTT. Drinfernoo’s blueprint did not work for me, and after a lot of debugging I discovered that my version of zigbee2mqtt was not sending the same mqtt payload as drinfernoo. There seems to be some inconsistencies across the user base, which may be related to the version of HA/mqtt/zigbee2mqtt being run.

I will do my best to reply to posts and if my blueprint does not work for you I encourage you to try drinfernoo’s. If this works for you, let me know your system setup (HA Core|Mosquito Broker|zigbee2mqtt)! I am more interested than anything, but it might let me predict future breaks.

Requirements:

• Set the aura legacy payload to true
  • Must select the “Brightness” entity not the “Action” entity during setup
  • Dimmable Lights

Blueprint

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

blueprint:
  name: Legacy Zigbee2MQTT Lutron Aurora Dimmer Control
  description: Control any light with the Lutron Aurora remote, integrated by Zigbee2MQTT.
  domain: automation
  input:
    aurora:
      name: Aurora
      description:
        The Lutron Aurora you wish to use to control this light. Use of
        If you have two entity's shown, the 'brightness' entity is the correct one.
      selector:
        entity:
          integration: mqtt
          domain: sensor
          multiple: false
    light:
      name: Light
      description: The light you wish to be affected. Make sure it is a dimmible light
      selector:
        target:
          entity:
            domain: light

mode: queued
max_exceeded: silent

trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: state_changed
    event_data:
      entity_id: !input aurora
  - platform: state

action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    target: !input light
    data:
      transition: "{{ 0.7 }}"
      brightness: '{{ trigger.to_state.state }}'
1 Like

Just wanted to let you know that your blueprint worked perfectly for me. Thank you so much for your efforts! As far as my versions of HA, Z2M, and MQTT, I’m running home assistant 2022.8.7, and the latest stable versions of Z2M and MQTT available as Home Assistant Add-ons. Hopefully this info helps others, and possibly clear up why the payloads differ so dramatically from user to user.

Cheers.

Thanks for looking into this, but now i’m having other issues.
The Aurora brightness entity in z2m is always on 117, the action entity changes state for a brief moment and then dissapears, the logs show:

Zigbee2MQTT:info 2022-08-29 10:21:21: MQTT publish: topic ‘zigbee2mqtt/Living Room Dimmer’, payload ‘{“action”:“brightness_move_to_level”,“action_level”:2,“action_transition_time”:0.02,“brightness”:117,“linkquality”:114,“update”:{“state”:“available”},“update_available”:null}’

And the automation fails with:

“Error rendering data template: UndefinedError: ‘dict object’ has no attribute ‘to_state’”

Can you please help?

Are your Auroras set to legacy = True?
I ask because that payload looks like the non-legacy payload.

I know I saw your post on drinfernos blueprint, its weird that drinfernos blueprint did not work with you since your payload looks like the dict payload vs the state payload.

Glad its working for you! I am still working on some “finishing touches” after using it around the house for the last week. Hopefully will have an update shortly to make operation more smooth.

That did the trick, changing it to legacy started updating the brightness entity. Thanks!

Hi! I just switched to Zigbee2MQTT and am using this blueprint. I have the Aurora set to Legacy and all the controls are working. However every time I use it (on/on/dim) I get three errore in my logs:

Template variable error: 'dict object' has no attribute 'to_state' when rendering '{{ trigger.to_state.state }}'

Error executing script. Error for call_service at pos 1: Error rendering data template: UndefinedError: 'dict object' has no attribute 'to_state'

Error rendering data template: UndefinedError: 'dict object' has no attribute 'to_state'

Any idea why this is happening?
Thank you!

Hi!
I found the issue. The error happened when the event triggered the automation, because events don’t have a state. I removed that trigger and now it seems to be working without the errors in the logs. The state of the brightness entity changes whenever the dimmer is used and will trigger the automation.

1 Like

This was the first solution that enabled my Lutron Aurora dimmers to control my dimmable Philips Hue lights with Zigbee2MQTT, so thank you. However, I noticed that after a HA restart, several of my lights (but not all of them) were triggered to turn on by this Blueprint automation. Why would that be, and is there a solution for this?

Thanks for posting this. This worked out of the box, but I was having weird issue where sometimes the click would not work and it had to be clicked a second time. I removed that event and it fixed the issue.

This worked out of the box for me too, but I am also noticing the click doesn’t always work. The odd thing is when I am looking at MQTT Explorer the failed clicks don’t show up on the bus, which seems less about the blueprint and more about the Aurora not sending the signal (?) but anyway, I’m interested in understanding better what you mean by “you removed that event”. Would you mind elaborating?

Thank you,
Lawrence.

As much as I hated to do it, this Blueprint forced me to finally move my 40+ devices from ZFA over to Zigbee2MQTT. And the blueprint works flawlessly! Thank you so much! Well worth it!

In case someone else is searching for the same issue I had, here is the issue and fix I’m using.

I had 1 dimmer that would randomly trigger. Unfortunately, it was my bedroom light dimmer, and it would trigger in the middle of the night. Lights at 100% is not conducive to sleep.

I found that there was a change in the action that was getting triggered. The action would change from an empty string to null. I don’t know why it was happening. It seemed to happen if the dimmer was used to turn on the lights, but another automation, or in my case Alexa, turned them off. 2-4 hours later, the value changed.

So I’ve made 2 changes. The first is removing this block from the trigger section.

- platform: event
    event_type: state_changed
    event_data:

This fixed the errors that I was seeing in the traces that made it hard to otherwise troubleshoot.

Second, I added a condition on the action to only accept “brightness”. Here is my trigger now:

trigger:
- platform: state
condition:
- condition: template
  value_template: '{{ trigger.to_state.attributes.action == "brightness" }}'
action:
- service: light.turn_on
  target: !input light
  data:
    transition: '{{ 0.7 }}'
    brightness: '{{ trigger.to_state.state }}'