Lennox S30

I’m starting a project to support the Lennox S30 via their API. The API is very extensive and appears to be able to control every parameter in the S30 - including all the system setup parameters HVAC installers would adjust.

Purpose of this note, is to make the community aware that I’m starting on this; it will take a while to get something working; and if there is anyone who is working on this effort already - let’s collaborate.

1 Like

I’m interested in helping/collaborating on this. I’m pretty motivated since I have a new Lennox HVAC system with a S30. You can reach me via don dot jackson at gmail

Brand new, and one of the reason I started playing with HA. I’ve had an S30 for a few years. I’d be glad to help test/debug.

Sounds great guys. I have some working code, should have a first cut of the integration in a week or two.

Here it is, a initial working protoype of the integration!

Give it a try and let me know how it works.

PeteRager/lennoxs30 (github.com)

Community really helped out on testing. Thank you! Alpha 0.0.2 is ready.

Release 0.0.3 is out.
Make that Release 0.0.3b

Release v0.0.3b · PeteRager/lennoxs30 (github.com)

There was a Lovelace Freeze / Deadlock that was reported. This hotfix should address the issue.

Release Hotfix for UI / HA freeze issue · PeteRager/lennoxs30 (github.com)

Hey, all! I’m extremely happy to see this thread. My A/C gave up this morning, and the system being proposed has the S30 thermostat. Before I pull the trigger, I’d like some feedback from those tinkering with the Alpha versions. How is it going? Is this looking promising? Any outlook on when this will be available in HACS? Is this likely to evolve into a standard integration?

If I proceed, I will definitely participate in your alpha & beta testing, and perhaps even contribute to the code if desired. I’m curious where you found the API documentation. I’ve been hunting for and have so far haven’t found anything.

I very much appreciate any feedback you can provide!

Working very well for my multi-zone system.

1 Like

I just pushed 0.0.5 this morning. Fixes a startup issue I was encountering and added some additional attributes for the climate entity. This has been running 24x7 for a couple of weeks with no issues. Here a list of the new attributes:

• fan (On,Off) - this reports back the running state of the fan, when the fan is in On or Circulate mode. If the HVAC is actively heating or cooling, it reports the fan as Off. So to determine if the HVAC is doing anything a combination of hvac_action and fan should be used. I’m using this to turn off the UV filter when not it use to save electricity.
  • damper - this reports back the state of the damper for the zone. I don’t have a multizone or dampers, but I expected this to be 0 or 100. Let me know what you see
  • demand - this reports back how much “demand” the zone has, i don’t know exactly what this means, but higher numbers seem to indicate a higher demand (e.g. needs to cool by a bunch of degrees)
  • allergenDefender - indicates if allergen defender mode is turned on

Release v0.0.5 · PeteRager/lennoxs30 (github.com)

Answering your question regarding HACS and making it a standard integration - that is my goal. There is a bunch of work to do, to get it up to meeting the HA standards - primarily around UI based configuration and automated unit tests. There are no API docs. I used a proxy to view the traffic between the mobile app and the web server. So anything the mobile app does, we should be able to do.

1 Like

Thank you so much for response and your work on this! Reverse engineering the traffic and building from that is impressive!

My new system installation is scheduled for Monday, so hopefully I will be another tester for your integration later next week! Looking forward to it.

Sounds good. Let me know how it goes good or bad :-). If you want to see the message traffic, turn on debug and it’ll get logged into ha log, there is literally a 20,000 line JSON config file that comes back from Lennox.

My new system installation was completed this afternoon, and I already have your custom component installed and getting data. Looking great so far!

I tried to watch the settings, etc., as they were configuring the S30. You said you include “Demand” but did not know what the values mean. Based on one of the installer setup screens, I believe that value is the CFM calculated to be delivered due to the temperature difference. When we first configured it, my demand was 1650 CFM (it was really warm in here!). Now that it has been running for a couple of hours, the demand is near zero.

One thing that I have in my system that I do not yet see in your supported attributes and function is “Fresh Air Damper Ventilation.” I can force the system to open a damper to bring in outside air. I would love to be able to control that via HA. I can provide logs to help. Please guide me on what to include or exclude in the logs, since there is PIA/PII in them.

Thanks so much for doing this! I’m excited!

Thanks, a good description of demand, I’ll update the notes. We should be able to get that outside damper to open. Turn on debug for the component as described in the readme, restart, once it’s up toggle that damper open / close a couple of times.

I’ll take look and see if that’s enough to create an update for you to test.

The PII in there is your email, address of house, address of installer; you can remove it or leave it, I won’t post it.

The 0.0.6 release is now available.

Release v0.0.6 · PeteRager/lennoxs30 (github.com)

New Capabilities:

• “Fresh Air Damper Ventilation” - with @blyons help we’ve been able to extend the component to support opening / closing this damper via a Switch Entity; added an attribute to the climate to indicate if the zone is being ventilated.
  • “Allergen Defender Mode” - if enabled in configuration.yaml a Switch Entity is created to allow turning this mode on / off
  • Startup Issue - @GaryK - reported an issue where the component failed to startup and that is now fixed.

The integration is having its 1 year anniversary. Lots of progress over the last year. Thank you to the community for the ideas, enhancements and bug reports.

1 Like