Lesson of the week: think HA first!

hi,

After finding a Sonos one under the tree I looked a bit further in what they had to connect to our in ceiling speakers. Sonos connect seems an option but it lacks a 12v out to switch on the AMP. So I typed in “arduino switch amp on audio in” when I realized that there is a sonos integration.

A home assistant automation that detects the sonos playing to switch on the amp seems so much easier, similarly it will also switch off the amp if the sonos is idle (that probably needs a small delay so it does not switch on/off too often).

Thank you HA!

Jhh

I have a setup like that, toggling power to the amp with TP-Link HS110 and selecting Sonos/TV inputs with a Logitech Harmony hub. It works well.

1 Like

hi,

Do you have discrete on/off for your amp? The one that I’m connecting now has them, so no need to worry if it’s already on or off. Another amp has a toggle on/off so I’m wondering how to keep track of the fact whether it is on or off?

Jhh

My amp is always on and I cut the mains power with the smartplug.

If that will not work, maybe you can still use the power reading in a smartplug to decide whether the amp is on or off/standby.