Level door lock?

Just jumping in here with my new Level Bolt Lock. Can someone pretty much sum up how to get this into Home Assistant? I scanned this thread but not really clear on the steps. I thought I could use the HomeKit Controller but the lock is not getting discovered.

Hello,

So I stumbled on this thread because I have a smart door lock that I need to get status of so I can trigger automations…I know this thread is about Level lock but I wanted to ask if this method would work with a Lockly lock? The NodeRed method that is…

Thanks.

Found out HomeKit Controller does not support BLE so that is why it’s not finding the lock. I’ll wait to see if there is a more seamless integration (hopefully).

Thanks, Dave, for taking the time to write this up. This is working great for me. Worth HACS, in my opinion.

Had a few hiccups with the initial bridge pairing and entity push-over. The switches and input boolean showed up fine in HomeKit but showed “no response” for them. Turns out I needed to not only restart HA, but my host system as well. Possibly this was because I have HA in Docker and maybe some inter-networking wasn’t synced yet. No idea, really. But all good now!

Cheers,

Kris

Going to bump this up now that HomeKit in HA supports Bluetooth devices. Has anybody tried to pair the level bolt/lock directly to HA since this update? The Level Bolt is still my ideal design because it’s invisible. If anyone has experience with this already definitely let us know how it works!

Someone has posted it up on Facebook working.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HomeAssistant/permalink/3281765922094755/?sfnsn=mo&ref=share

4 Likes

Great! Thanks for this, just joined the group :slight_smile:

Works! Remove the lock from HomeKit via the Level App by choosing “Works with None”. Add a Homekit controller via Devices & Services and it will appear as a Lock Mechanism. Identified via the last 8 digits of the serial number. Pair it, enter the HomeKit code to connect.

5 Likes

what do you use for a bluetooth device for HA? Do you find any WiFi interference?

I use this adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0775YF36R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It’s one of the known working adapters. Haven’t noticed any interference from WiFi yet

1 Like

cool thanks

This is great to hear! My only lock that isn’t connected to HA.

Well not sure if anyone is using the level lock with amazon sidewalk through Ring, but you can’t have this connection and Ring.

What kind of range are you getting with that adapter?

The range isn’t far, 10-15 ft

I’ve had no luck getting it to work here. The lock is detected by HA, but I receive an error when putting in the HomeKit code. I’ve tried this on three locks and the result is always the same.

i just finished getting it to work
HA latest in docker
Unraid Host
BlueZ installed on host (via Nerd-Pack)
Docker can access both DBus and BT dongle via /dev/bus/usb/XXX/XXX (although last bit shouldnt be needed)
Disabled Mobo onboarding BT controller (as previously had hci0 and hci1)
Removed Lock from HomeKit (on iOS)
Made sure lock exists in Level Lock App (firmware update was required)
Set Level Lock to “Works with None”
Wait for HA to discover

Are you sure you have a compatible BT dongle @Dolomasi ?

Also @keezppc got it working through the dongle you suggested, but spotted this (so ordering to test):
Amazon.com: Long Range USB Bluetooth Adapter for PC USB Bluetooth Dongle Wireless Bluetooth Adapter for Headphones Speakers, 328FT / 100M,5.0 Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver for Windows 10/8 / 8.1/7 : Electronics

EDIT: Same driver, so should work - but my knowledge of radios/hardware isnt all that strong

I have this dongle, which was on the list of working ones, as far as I know: Amazon.com

The dongle shows up as hci0 for me.

I’m running this on a Home Assistant Blue device, updated to 2022.8.2. The Level locks are updated to firmware 2.26.1 and they are set to Works with None.

After trying some more, I think this is likely a Bluetooth connection quality issue. I was finally able to pair one of the locks, but it then fails to unlock. I’ll order an extension cable and see if that helps.

I just got that same adapter @jaburges. Had to follow the steps here for my debian machine https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/wgax05/psa_bluetooth_adapter_on_hass_os_for_rtl8761b/ but I got it to work. Seems to be getting better distance but my house is mostly 1950’s concrete so still not great

I can confirm this longer range (with external antenna) works too:

PS dont forget to restart the host bluetooth service after hardware change