Level door lock?

So I thought the below was the coolest thing I’ve seen in a lock mechanism.

It only supports HomeKit though. Unfortunately not Z-Wave wouldn’t have local only access but would this work with HA?

2 Likes

I’m not sure how good the battery placement is.
Would the bolt still be strong enough?

Least informative website ever.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent question. Didn’t even think about that. The concept is cool though. Don’t really like the locks that are out there and the ones that are you can tell almost immediately they are a smart lock which probably isn’t great.

Would the assumption be if it has HomeKit support it should in some way be manageable by HA? I know even though it’s annoying, my ecobee comes up twice because it supports HomeKit.

Just got this lock. It doesn’t use wifi. It uses Bluetooth. Most of the advanced features require a HomeKit hub. Love how simple the installation is and how it integrates with my existing lock hardware. I won’t keep it if I can’t get it to work with Home Assistant.

2 Likes

Very cool. Not sure if you add the HomeKit integration if it will just see it or what. I know my ecobee is double detected and one of the two is homekit. Also any thoughts on the strength of the lock based on a battery being the lock?

JR

1 Like

It uses Bluetooth, not wifi, so it doesn’t show up as a homekit device in Home Assistant.

According to a Facebook post:
"We test to ANSI Grade 1/A standards, which are the most stringent in the industry. In case you’re interested, this means the lock passes a number of tests, including:

Bolt strength - 1350 lb-f side load
Bolt impact - 2 blows of 148 ft-lb (200 joules)
Bolt saw - 5 minutes @ 5 lb-f
Bolt compressive load - 150 lb-f
250,000 cycles
Slam test - 10,000 cycles
ESD (electrostatic discharge) - Level 4"

Man, that’s disappointing. I’ve seen positive reviews, but no way to hook it into HA may kill that purchase.

1 Like

Supposedly they are going to release something that allows for Google Assistant and Alexa integration. I assume that will be some sort of bluetooth to wifi bridge. They aren’t providing any timeline or additional information though.

I like the lock a lot. The fact it’s hidden in my current lock hardware is really nice.

But what can you do with it? Manage it thru it’s app on the iPhone I would imagine?

Never buy tech gear on this basis.

2 Likes

I don’t have an iPhone, but with my Android phone I can lock/unlock (locally), view logs (locally) and share access to other e-mails (unsure if it works remotely, but I assume it does).

Thanks, Mom.

5 Likes

Shouldn’t this work via the homekit controller integration? I think I am going to buy one to try it and if it doesn’t I will return.

@nalipaz homekit_controller does not support BLE yet. I’ve implemented it before but it wasnt stable enough to upstream running dubs-glib inside a thread because you were going from asynchronous to synchronous to asynchronous. So it sounds like this won’t work.

speaking of local, have you tried with your internet uplink disconnected (so pure local access)?

Since it has an Android app, there might be a fair amount of reverse engineering someone could do to.

@nalipaz did you end up purchasing one? If so, did the moment controller integration work? I am thinking of purchasing one, but am ijn Australia where they are not released yet, so would have to jump through a couple of hoops to get one, and if it doesn’t work, won’t be the end of the world, but will be a little disappointed.

I did buy one and was hoping I might be able to use some sort of bridge integration but so far I have found nothing. It doesn’t even connect to WiFi, it is a ble only device. However this is one of the only locks I can get away with using at my apartment since it doesn’t look like I changed anything to my property management. That said I will continue to use and just keep hoping for ble to be integrated into the hass HomeKit integration. It is a really nice lock and very good app despite the 5 other locks I have tried out in the past. Probably the best one I have seen with the least amount of issues.

1 Like

thanks for the response… i might just wait to see how dev goes, and by that time, they may release the z-wave zigbee versions which i will jump on.

thanks

Yeah I was initially excited when I saw this. Elegant solution but then not having Z-Wave kind of killed it for me.

1 Like