Leviton Decora Matter support added

I have done everything read here and had already done everything @SophieO posted. I have about a dozen Gen2 switches and only six of them have connected over Matter. Obviously things are setup right in the system if six of them work. One person suggested using a different device to set it up with so I used both my Pixel 6 and Samsung tablet with same results.

What makes this worse is that the Gen2 and the Gen1 switches no longer work with the Leviton integration! Small step forward, a couple large steps backwards.

One person mentioned rebooting the switch however I cannot find anywhere on how to do it. Might try just hitting the circuit breaker on it. I saw Levition suggest this with older Gen1 devices.

I was quite excited about this too. I only did one light at first with the firmware update and it added straight away. So of course I immediately updated everything thinking it was all going to work. heh

One thing I have noticed but I am not 100%. I believe that the ones that did get added all auto-started the Android setup app on the phone. Going through HA and adding from the devices tab appears to not be working. Not sure if there is something to this or not.

Turning breaker off/on did not work.

I thought I would post steps to recreate in case someone else is having this issue.

1. Hold down the light switch in the “on” position for seven seconds until orange light turns on. Release the button and it starts flashing green.
  2. In the HA app, go to the Devices tab and hit the “Add Device” button. Select “Add Matter device”. Hit the “Set up without QR code” button.
  3. Switch to the Leviton app, Go into the device settings and select “Matter Pairing Code”. Get the number under the QR code.
  4. Go back to the HA app and enter the QR code.

At this point, the app does connect to the switch as the green lights stop blinking on it. It says it is generating network credentials and then it simply says “Something went wrong” and asks to try again which never works.

I have checked the HA logs and there is nothing in it regarding this issue.

I should also mention that I have restarted HA and rebooted the phone for good measure.

All of the lights still work in the Leviton app. The Gen1 and Gen2, both the ones that connected with Matter and those that don’t. However none of them, as mentioned before, work with the Leviton integration any more.

1 Like

@portigui - I called Levton tech suppport and they told me this is the way - and it works. For the Leviton D26HD Dimmer this fixes the problem - and you won’t need to do it again - FINALLY! It used to be a hassle but it has gotten much more stable over the last couple of matter updates in HA.

1. In the leviton app on your phone, verify you have updated the dimmer switch to the firmware that has matter…

2. In the Leviton App on your phone, delete it completely. This is important. I Won’t bother explaining that right now, but the below keeps failing if you don’t do this (you can add it back into the app later - the app will actually remember the settings for it like the wifi password - and even the name - for the Leviton App when it is re-added - at the last step below anyway).

3. In Matter on HA (or devices, wherever it is), make a note of the name (and the entity_id) of the device. Then delete the device completely from HA. Restart HA and make sure it is gone.

4. (Thank you @cptnemo for the correction to this section!):

• hold the top rocker for 14 seconds
    • after first 7 seconds status led will turn amber - continue to hold
    • after 7 more seconds, status led will quickly flash RED/AMBER
    • release top rocker and device will reset.
  5. The light should be blinking when the reset is done. That means you are ready to program it from scratch.

6. Make sure your phone is on the same wifi & vlan that you want the switch to use (for example my IOT vlan for me). Also that VLAN should have access to the internet (for this for now).

7. In HA, go to devices / add device and go through the typical routine. Be patient, might take a couple tries. If it does not work, take a breath, start over with the reset, etc. (but make sure it is not back in HA yet if you have to try again) And it might take several minutes for HA to say it actually has successfully added it. Don’t walk away while it is doing, bluetooth has limited range, and don’t switch to a different app on your phone when waiting/doing it!

8. Only once you have it worknig properly in HA (remember to rename it to the name and device ID you had from #2 above so all of yoiur automations are then working again) - then relaunch the leviton app and go through the steps in the Leviton App to add it as new.

BTW, if you want to cut power to it, you don’t have to turn off all the lights in the house. putting your fingernail under the lever and popping it into the position shown in the picture is the same as cutting the power to it (very clever!). Then after a little bit, push it back in. You don’t really need to do this for the above steps but it might be smart to do it after you have wiped it clean to the factory resetted firmware, but that is up to you. (It’s essentially really forcing it to reboot - cutting the power this way and restoring the power by pushing it back in again.)

3 Likes

@KruseLuds You sir, are my hero! Thank you for doing the leg work and getting the information to make this work. After doing the steps you mentioned above, android auto-detected the new matter device just like the ones that did work previously! From that point on, it was smooth sailing. All of my Gen2 switches are now connected via Matter!

In addition, for some crazy/unknown reason, the Gen1 switches are all back via the Leviton integration. I am 100% again!

Thank you for the information on the power cycling the Gen2 dimmer switches. All of my dimmers are still Gen1 so I did not need to use that info at this point in time but I am quite certain I will need it when I get around to replacing my Gen1 dimmers with Gen2! lol

Thanks again my friend, you are greatly appreciated!

1 Like

i have been having this identical issue on all my D26h - second gen dimmer switches

thank you. I am going to try this and see if I can re-pair the levitogn D26h devices through matter

Thank you for this clear step-by-step instruction. While it has still not worked form me, my DH26 dimmer manual had a different reset process and may help others.

• hold the top rocker for 14 seconds
  • after first 7 seconds status led will turn amber - continue to hold
  • after 7 more seconds, status led will quickly flash RED/AMBER
  • release top rocker and device will reset.

I have tried multiple times but adding to HA via the matter device add always pops up an error “Unable to Add Accessory” You may need to restart your accessory before you can add it to your home!

Not sure what to try anymore. I fear it is a problem on the HA side!

UPDATE: FINALLY GOT MY DH26’s to connect to HA via matter.

• the specific step that made it work was really to connect to HA right after/during putting the DH26 into “setup” mode. This requires
  • Reset your dimmer switch as stated by @KruseLuds or in my case, as listed above.
  • get HA to be ready to pair by having entered/scanned the bar code
  • hold the up rocker button for 7-10 seconds till you see the amber light
  • then release the rocker and you should see blinking green lights
  • press HA pariing/connect request

Should work now - all the best!

1 Like

Yes, the above is correct, my bad - I will update my post to use same! Thank you

1 Like

Have you guys tried to adjust the transition time on the decora switches within HA running matter? They don’t seem to respond to transition input data.

I did it on the decora app, worked for me. But mine is the Leviton D26HD Dimmer. Works perfectly, rock solid, never disconnects.

I confirmed that HA doesn’t support this over Matter yet. Should be a few weeks. Also confirmed with Leviton that the Matter firmware on the device supports this feature so it’s on HA’s side.

Thanks for the step by step trying tonight to get it up and running.

I just added a Leviton D215S switch via the Matter interface.

I came across this post with the special instructions for adding these devices before I even purchased the switch and filed it away for future reference in case I had any issues. Initially I tried to add the switch through “normal” means, but seems like nothing has changed in the intervening months since someone last posted on this topic. After the initial attempt failed, I followed the instructions provided by @KruseLuds and the inclusion worked without a hitch. I appreciate that someone took the time to share this information with the community.

One issue I am having with the D215S switch is that it was added to Home Assistant as a light rather than a switch. Besides just the OCD in me, Home Assistant presents it as a dimmer with 0% being “off” and anything else being “on”. I deleted and re-added the switch in Home Assistant, but got the same result. I’ve spent some time searching for a solution, but have not found anything that works for me. It works as a switch within the Leviton app.

1 Like

I’ve used a template in my config to change a light to a fan because of a zigbee switch that did something similar. Let me know if you figure it out, I was looking at getting those for setting my Whole House Fan High/Low using these.

Do you have to reinstall it on the Leviton app after you connect it to HA with Matter? Can you update the firmware with HA when updates come available or can you only update the firmware from Leviton app.

Well after several hours trying to connect 2 dimmers and a switch I threw in the towel. Has anyone tried connecting with the new firmware 2.1.25 yet? I even tried connecting them to HomeKit. They would show up but had a connection error and I could not control them. When trying to connect to HA the green led stops blinking then blinks orange a few times like it should then back to solid green. After a long time HA fails to install it.

looking thru my logs I seen this.
2024-04-12 09:36:42.667 (MainThread) INFO [matter_server.server.helpers.paa_certificates] Skip fetching certificates (already fetched within the last 24h).
Could it be that I need to wait awhile sense the Matter codes were just made and may not have made it all the way to HA yet?