LG WebOS and Volume Level

I have had an LG TV with webos integrated with HA for a couple of years now and its been working flawless. I decided to upgrade my Samsung tv in another room to LG specifically because of how well the LG integration works. However, when I integrated the new LG tv, I can control the volume, but I do not get a volume slidebar and existing volume level attributes like I did on my existing LG TV. Does anyone know why that is?

Here are the attribute for the existing TV:

source_list: AV, Accessibility, Amazon Prime Video...
volume_level: 0.05
is_volume_muted: false
source: HDMI 1
sound_output: tv_speaker
friendly_name: LG Bedroom TV
entity_picture: /api/media_player_proxy/media_player.lg_bedroom_tv?token=73209d00ef3ccda3ea825d405b60ff537616709f9abac822e07d0c8734366671&cache=ed9d0b9be6d4cac5
supported_features: 20413
device_class: tv

And here are the attributes for the new LG TV:

source_list: AV, Amazon Prime Video...
source: HDMI 1
friendly_name: LG Living Room TV

The popup controls gives a volume slider on the existing one (which is only about 3 years old) but I only get volume_up/down mute buttons on the new one.

I am able to set the volume to a specific level if I call service media_player.volume_set but for the automation I am doing, I need the feedback.

Any help is appreciated

1 Like

First - congrats on making a good choice with LG SmartTV.
Second - can’t answer you why, but looking at available features, both of the TV’s should provide same functionality in regard to integration:

And

Thanks @BeardedConti. The LG controls with HA was the reason I went with LG for my second tv, but Im really bummed I dont have feedback for volume level. On thing Samsung had (at least for their soundbar) is an http rest protocol that was a workaround to get and control volume. Does anything like that exist for the LG?

But you should have that ability.

source_list:

• LiveTV
  • Netflix
  • PS4
  • SmartShare
  • YouTube
    volume_level: 0
    media_content_type: channel
    media_title: Nickelodeon
    source: LiveTV
    friendly_name: LG TV
    entity_picture: >-
    /api/media_player_proxy/media_player.lg_tv?token=901868f39dae92e7a654da849a3dd86a9e3705f4a1ac38d0a2091dcc0aaa79c1&cache=655c8a2652c3f06d

This is what I have on LG TV, and if I go on in Lovelace, I can see current volume level, and can change it too:

And as you can see, same supported_features number.

Interesting, I upgraded to .115 and now I have volume slider, but I still dont have an attribute for volume_level. The slider does seem to work as I raise the slider and the volume changes on tv. However if I close out the media control and go back, it slider is back to zero (like its the assumed state) because it is not getting any volume level feedback from the tv. The LG that I had 3 years ago doesnt have this issue and they both have the same supported feature number.
Any ideas??

Additional note: Used a custom NPM for lg webostv in NodeRed, and I can get volume feedback if I poll the tv

This is what I have in my configuration.yaml

wake_on_lan:

webostv:
  - name: LG Bedroom TV
    host: 192.168.1.26
    turn_on_action:
      service: wake_on_lan.send_magic_packet
      data:
        mac: "20:3d:bd:xx:xx:xx"
  - name: LG Living Room TV
    host: 192.168.1.228
    turn_on_action:
      service: wake_on_lan.send_magic_packet
      data:
        mac: "ec:6c:9a:xx:xx:xx"

Really have no clue. My guess is that previous model had lower version of webOS and this one has newer.
This is really strange as I never head an issue with this (syncing for volume).
It can take a bit to get update if I change channel (few seconds), but it updates that too.
I know that between versions you will still have same supported feature number, but still that could be the case.

One thing if you have time you could check is dependency for Node RED LG integration and one used in Home Assistant, maybe HA is using older version of library for LG integration… maybe…

I mean if it was using an older library is I would imagine my LG that’s 3 years would have the an issue as well. I would imagine by now if someone would have got an a 2020 LG TV and if they had the no volume feedback issue I would have seen a post by now. I have seen post many years ago about the volume slider always assume zero, but didn’t see any resolution to that

j’ai le même soucis, il faut que quelqu’un mette a jour le code.
Avec pylgtv je récupère bien la position du volume, mais mes compétence s’arrête là.

I have the same problem, someone needs to update the code.
With pylgtv I get the volume position well, but my skills stop there.

Same issue for me

Just FYI, this is fixed in a new version of the WebOS Python library, but we are waiting for a GUI integration to integrate it, because it has a breaking change to the configuration.

2 Likes

Hi,
I have also a problem with my lg OLED55CXLA volume.
in developer tools, volume level appear

source_list: Amazon Prime Video, Live TV, Navigateur Web, PS4, SHIELD, Set iptv, Vu+, Yamaha, YouTube
volume_level: 0.45
source: Vu+
sound_output: external_arc
friendly_name: Télé
supported_features: 20409

but in lovelace I dont have volume slider.

I’m not sure is HA webos integration problem because in webos develop, luna services

• audio/volume/up works
  • audio/volume/down works
  • audio/volume/set don’t works

did I miss something ?

Hey, I had the same issue.

If you are using external sound devices on the LG the set volume doesn’t work. It only appears to work for the internal tv speaker.

If you are using a receiver or home theatre system best to try set volume through that device instead of it has a HA integration.

Very annoying, because my soundbar is equipped with HDMI-CEC, and it is not smart… I assume that this is still not possible?

With the latest ha updates, google home now doesn’t recognise mute and turns its own volume up instead of the tv, sometimes saying google cannot cast to speaker groups? And ideas what’s broken?