LG webOS Notifications w/icon: Problems

Hello all. I’ve got notifications working perfectly, with my webOS, however, when I try to add the icon: component, it fails. I’m using the exact example here:

action:
      service: notify.livingroom_tv
      data:
        data:
          icon: "/local/nicole.png"

The notification simply won’t display on the TV when a picture is attempted to be used.

My install is Docker on the Synology and my image path is actually /config/www which I understand maps to the above /local/ space. This is certainly true for the other images I put in this location and they work fine.

I have also tried using a known-to-be-working in HA elsewhere image at that path with the same result.

I have tried .png and .jpg files. Does the webOS notification have any restriction on image size/type that I should be paying attention to?

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. The message only appear when I send it without an icon. :frowning:

My config:

- id: washer_finished_notification
  alias: Washer Finished Notification
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.washer_status
    to: 'off'
  action:
    service: notify.livingroom_tv
    data:
      data:
        icon: www/images/washmachine1.png

My TV: webOS TV SK8550
Software version: 05.10.25

1 Like

Similar to the issue reported here.

Add your comments there, so someone may look at it.

I have same probem. Now WebOS not supported it? Anybody try to ask LG support?

Mine is working without the icon, but the message last only few seconds on the TV screen. I think the message must remain on the screen until the OK button is pressed on the remote.

yeah, same issue. Did you got any options to make the message hold on the screen ?

Not yet and I think it is a problem on the TV side, so the TV firmware must be modified accordingly.

I’m glad I found this topic, because I was struggling with the same ‘icon’ issue.

I can now show only message without icon…

Seems like this issue https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/31213 is again exist

No, it’s not bug. Messages on TV works OK. I think WebOS not support custom icons now.

Anybody else having this same issue

Is it possible to control how long the notifications stay on screen or even have it persist till a click?

Not that I know of.

Maybe not what you all are looking for, but in case you want to display a message on your LG TV that doesn’t disappear like a toast you might consider using an alert.

service: webostv.command
data:
  entity_id: media_player.lg_webos_tv
  command: system.notifications/createAlert
  payload:
    buttons:
      - label: OK
11 Likes

I found this topic because I also cannot send the icon in notification as the others. I playing little bit and found it is possible to have an icon if you send alert instead of toast notification (thanks for the hint @lgespee ), but sorry guys, this would be possible on rooted TV, because you need to have your icon locally on TV. Yes, I am aware that most of the people didn’t rooted their TV’s, I rooted my because of Hyperion-NG screen capturing and because of YT without ads :crazy_face:

This is just addition to previous post, below path of the icon is local path on the TV, transferred via SFTP. My TV is rooted, but it shouldn’t be mandatory.

service: webostv.command
data:
  entity_id: media_player.lg_tv
  command: system.notifications/createAlert
  payload:
    buttons:
      - label: not OK
    iconUrl: "/home/root/gas-mask-100x100.png"

How could you achieve this on non rooted TV? Simply put your icons on USB stick or external HDD/SSD. I noticed that firstly mounted external USB storage will always appear in /tmp/usb/sda/sda1/ on TV. The next one will appear in /tmp/usb/sdb/sdb1/ , etc. So in this case, iconUrl would be something like:

iconUrl: "/tmp/usb/sdb/sdb1/gas-mask-icon-80x80.png"

And it is working. I believe this should work on non rooted TV as well.

Regarding Toast notifications and icons, as per LG documentation, icons should be 80x80 and in .png format, but I had no success to display it in toast, even if I resized it to 80x80 in .png and trensferred it to TV.

EDIT: Oh, maybe I forgot important part to mention. My TV is OLED55C11LB, software version: 3.21.20, webos version: 6.2.0-35 (kisscurl-kavir).

7 Likes

I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I was able to get the image to display on a non-rooted LG TV from a usb. I liked the alert much more than the toast. I couldn’t have got it working without your instructions. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No problem, and thank you for these nice words :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Wow, thanks @stiw47 for this info!
Do you have info, which parameters to use to get the buttons “actionable”?

For example I can show a stream on TV at the moment, but how to attach this to the button? Which documentation to “translate”?

My current “command with payload” is working nicely:

command: system.launcher/open
    payload:
      target: http://192.168.1.127:8081

I wonder if some WIFI-enabled SD card works as image pool to load images (from door camera for example): Image from camera could be loaded to SD and then displayed on TV for some time

Hehe, you’re welcome.

I like your idea, but didn’t dig such a deep. Maybe will look into it when I catch some free time. This and this are some useful links I am aware of.

I don’t think so this is possible (but, on the other hand, cannot be sure ATM). I mean, I would be able to do this by transferring photo from WiFi SD card to TV via SSH, then handle it locally on TV, but as I said before, I rooted my TV, so I’m SSH’ing into it. Off topic: I even edited Custom Screensaver app for WebOS (root needed for app to work), so I can set custom images from HA UI.

Example:

shell_command:
  lg_screensaver_among_us_instagram: "scp -i key/id_ed25519 -o 'StrictHostKeyChecking=no' lg-screensaver/among-us-instagram.qml [email protected]:/media/developer/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosbrew.custom-screensaver/assets/screensaver-main.qml"
  lg_screensaver_among_us3: "scp -i key/id_ed25519 -o 'StrictHostKeyChecking=no' lg-screensaver/among-us3.qml [email protected]:/media/developer/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosbrew.custom-screensaver/assets/screensaver-main.qml"
and so on........
1 Like