LG WebOs TV always display as a Home icon instead of TV in Apple Home (Homekit)

Hi guys !

It’s my first topic on this forum, I’ve installed my Home Assistant a few weeks ago and I have a lot of trouble on the configuration.
For instance, we’re using mostly Apple Product and Siri at Home so this is why we want to make everything available through the Home App.

But I have some trouble making my TV available. In fact, it’s available and I can turn it off/on (wake_on_lan). But no matter what I try, the icon in the Home App is always a small Home instead of a TV. Also, sometime when restarting Home Assistant to test things, the inputs of the TV change to the name of the TV or the name of the room. (It seems to be random tbh)

There’s my files:

configuration.yaml:

homeassistant:
  customize: !include customize.yaml
webostv:
  host: !secret tv_ip
  name: Main TV
  turn_on_action:
    service: wake_on_lan.send_magic_packet
    data:
      mac: !secret tv_mac

customize.yaml

media_player.lg_webos_smart_tv:
  friendly_name: Main TV
  device_class: tv
  source_list:
    - HDMI 1
    - Apple TV  # HDMI 2 (eARC - CEC)
    - HDMI 3
    - HDMI 4
    - USB

homekit.yaml

filter:
  include_entities:
    - media_player.lg_webos_smart_tv

entity_config:
  media_player.lg_webos_smart_tv:
    name: TV

I’m asking for help after hours and hours spent this week with no result, I’m wondering if it’s a bug or if it’s just something that goes wrong between my keyboard and my chair…

Thanks you !

I think LG WebOS TVs are not configured through the GUI, so your yaml might have no effect.

But sometime it update, for instance now the source appear with their right names defined in the customize.yaml
(There’s always the right number of input based on the source I’ve setup even if they have the wrong name)
But still the icon is not a tv…

So I think it definitely affect, but you may be right, maybe there’s a conflict somewhere between GUI and YAML.

How do i know about what is configured in GUI instead of yaml ? Right now I’m adding my new device using the “device and services” menu where it discover my devices and then I go in the yaml to configure them.
Am I doing something wrong ?

for LG
If you have configured your tv, there is the configure button.
for WOL you need

wake_on_lan: # enables `wake_on_lan` domain

in configuration.yaml
and

- alias: Turn On Living Room TV with WakeOnLan
  trigger:
    - platform: webostv.turn_on
      entity_id: media_player.living_room_tv
  action:
    - service: wake_on_lan.send_magic_packet
      data:
        mac: <some mac>
  id: <some Id>

in automations,
It could be better but this is how it works.
Next to that, you didn’t ask, but If you have an LG TV.
check this out

For your main item, I actually don’t use apple homekit. so not sure how to integrate, I only know how to setup an LG remote

Yup, that is because the TV is on and it then extract the values from there. Your YAML should have no effect.
Regarding the house in HomeKit, then I do not know, since I do not use Apple products, but I know LG WebOS TVs also have a builtin smart home control hub, so that might be why it shows as a house.

But why would the yaml has no effect ? What is it meant for if it does nothing ?

And also, if I remember well, the TV was not started… It just magically update after 5/6 restart of the Home app.

I’ll try to remove the TV from the LG app then.

Thank you but the wake on lan works great.

The only issue is the wrong icon in the Apple Home app and sometime the inputs that appear with the tv or room name (still in home app) ignoring the configuration… (But if I’m patient the inputs will finally change magically).

Oh and another issue, in the home app the current input is wrong, I can’t figure why.

The YAML is a deprecated configuration form.
You might have found a guide to an earlier version of HA, but HA have moved a lot since then and one of the moves is to deprecate YAML setup and use GUI instead.

Really ?? I thought the UI was a user friendly alternative for non tech guys but that yaml still offer 100% of features.

I mean I did my own keyboard using QMK and there is an GUI based configuration and a programming alternative in C with way more option, I thought it would be similar.

I’ll try to move the config in full GUI then, I’ll let you know.

Breaking change here.

Ok guys, I’ve found the solution, my TV was added to Apple Home (Homekit) using the Homekit integration but it was included in the only Bridge I had.

I did another bridge set to mode: accessory and I had to add it as a separate accessory in Home. Works great !

There is what my homekit.yaml looks like.

- name: Home Assistant Bridge
  auto_start: true
  port: 21065
  mode: bridge
  filter:
    include_entities:
    # Light Groups
      - light.bedroom_ceiling
      - light.office_ceiling
    # Lights
      - light.bedroom_left
      - light.bedroom_right