LG WebOS TV Update on HA 0.104.0 not working

Hi,
I think I had the same problem like you - after updating to 104.3 I would only see a notification for pairing request, but when I clicked on it nothing would happen. I then realized that when changing configuration in YAML I coppied ip address from example and changed only the last digits of host ip address:
My LG tv ip is 192.168.1.126, but in YAML I’ve put 192.1.0.126

After correcting this typo my TV paired succesfully.

Maybe it will help you.

That’s one of the first things I checked - the IP is the same in my config as what gets cached in webostv.conf and shows in the TV’s settings. And I do get the confirmation on my TV, it just never succeeds.

Good thought though!

Where might I find this?

What was the version of HA, that the WebOS component was working well?

See this link and change only the version in the middle. I mean change 0.103.0 with the version that Webostv was working well. Ah … and remove the underscore in the beginning … :slight_smile:

_https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/tree/0.103.0/homeassistant/components/webostv

Wake on lan is working fine, btw. You just have to add this line in configuration.yaml in order to activate this service.

wake_on_lan:
1 Like

The wake_on_lan: caught me out for a while!

This is my current working config

wake_on_lan:
webostv:
    name: LG TV
    host: 192.168.0.9
    #other settings
    turn_on_action:
        service: wake_on_lan.send_magic_packet
        data:
          mac: "64:95:6c:38:9b:d8"
1 Like

Home Assistant 0.105.4 working configuration :slight_smile:

switch:
  - platform: wake_on_lan
    name: lg
    mac: "78:5D:C8:B4:FF:E2"

webostv:
  host: 192.168.0.17
  name: Living Room TV
  turn_on_action:
    service: switch.turn_on
    entity_id: switch.lg
  customize:
    sources:
      - livetv
      - youtube
      - hdmi1
      - hdmi2
      - hbogo

media_player:

notify:
1 Like

Since there is quite some effort going into the recent developments for the sake of additional features (input commands, asynchronous state updates, etc) it would be good to get user feedback about what if anything is still not working.

After the first round of major changes in this direction there were inevitably some issues which needed fixing from different TV models, configurations, environments, etc.

I know development takes some effort (especially for the users in this case). As a regular user it is quite an inconvenience. So my idea is to preserve somehow the current functionality working, while updating the main thing - the home assistant … This is why I’m still at v.0.94.1. It is still working for me with all my devices. Of course it is a good idea to get user feedback but the rapid development always ignores the user experience. Our opinion goes somewhere in the background, in flavor of the development and innovations. Lots of changes were made and lots of changes will be made, but the bad taste in the mount remains (if you get me right). I can’t afford every two weeks disabilities to operate my own smart home. This is why I don’t update so often but in 3-4-5-6 months. Also some of the integrations have very limited functionality (as WebOSTV integration) and I like to extend them as custom integrations and include more functionalities. In WebOS for the example I have integrated a functionality to include all TV channels in the sources list, so I can switch tv channels from this menu.

Hi

I have 2 TVs configured in Hassio as per below. When i turn any of the 2 tvs on, is displayed as on in the app for 10 -20 seconds then it shows off for 2-3 seconds and so on.

ON 20 sec
OFF 2 sec
ON 20 sec
OFF 2 sec

Any idea why is working like this and if can be corrected ?

webostv:
  - host: 192.168.100.xx
    name: 'Living Room TV'
    turn_on_action:
      data:
        mac: "A8:23:DA:49:BE:78"
    customize:
      sources:
        - Live TV
        - PS4
        - Netflix

- host: 192.168.100.yy
    name: 'Bedroom TV'
    turn_on_action:
      data:
        mac: "10:08:C1:DF:F6:06"
    customize:
      sources:
        - Live TV
        - Netflix
media_player:
notify:

A little more detail on my pairing issue:

Using 0.106.0.dev0, no matter what I do, I can’t pair my TV. Again, when I click the “start pairing request” button, the popup on the TV comes up, and when I click “accept”, It creates the webostv.conf file, but the pairing request window on home assistant doesn’t go away. Clicking “start pairing request” more times does nothing, and when restarting, nothing works, until I remove the webostv.conf file and then we start over from scratch.

The config is basic:

- host: 10.0.3.17
  name: Living Room
  customize:
    sources:
        - Chromecast
        - Kodi
        - LiveTV
        - Netflix
        - YouTube

I do see that discovery finds it too:

[homeassistant.components.discovery] Unknown service discovered: webos_tv {'host': '10.0.3.17', 'port': 1457, 'ssdp_description': 'http://10.0.3.17:1457/', 'name': 'Living Room', 'model_name': 'LG Smart TV', 'model_number': 'OLED65C8PUA', 'serial': None, 'manufacturer': 'LG Electronics', 'udn': 'uuid:redacted', 'upnp_device_type': 'urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:Basic:1'}

So this confirms I’m using the right IP address. I tried with both wired (on the same subnet as HA) and wifi (works with the app on my Android phone), no difference, other than different IP addresses stored in the webostv.conf file.

There are no logs.

Any suggestions?

Can you post some logs?

Can you post more of the config? (The part you post here is under “webostv:” ?)

In particular do you also have at least empty sections for media_player: and notify: as in the example?

Of course. I have other stuff in both media_player and notify but nothing related to webostv.

As I said before, there are no logs about this at all. That’s why I’m asking if there’s a way to find out more. The only line I’ve found related to this is this one:

2020-02-18 23:13:52 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up webostv

And that’s certainly not helpful. I put homeassistant.components.webostv: debug in my logger config, but have not yet seen any debug messages.

(Sorry, request for logs was directed to @GBCRAS1 )
Indeed I’m at a bit of a loss. If you’re comfortable with python you can try copying webostv to the custom_components and adding some debug output to the relevant setup functions…

You can also test if the standalone basic example for the underlying client library is working.

There are no error reported into logs related to the WEBOS platform, but below are logged in logbook and on the mobile app and web interface the state toggles between ON and OFF.
This happens when the TV is ON.

February 19, 2020

9:15 AM Living Room TV turned on
9:15 AM Living Room TV turned off
9:03 AM Living Room TV turned on
9:03 AM Living Room TV turned off
8:52 AM Living Room TV turned on
8:52 AM Living Room TV turned off
8:41 AM Living Room TV turned on
8:41 AM Living Room TV turned off
8:30 AM Living Room TV turned on
8:29 AM Living Room TV turned off
8:29 AM Living Room TV turned on
8:29 AM Living Room TV turned off
8:18 AM Living Room TV turned on
8:18 AM Living Room TV turned off
8:07 AM Living Room TV turned on
8:07 AM Living Room TV turned off
7:56 AM Living Room TV turned on

1 Like

I made a test … I copied the 0.103.* to 0.105.* version of the WebOSTV component in custom component … Then I placed the old webostv.conf in the config folder and everything worked like charm … Using it in the old fashion way and fully working without even pairing it again … :slight_smile:

Sorry, not clear from your message. Which version is working for you in custom_components, and which version was not working (and with what issues?)