Life360 Device Tracker Platform

How is logger: configured? With what you’ve said, it’s kind of hard to believe there aren’t any diagnostic messages of any kind anywhere in home-assistant.log that might help shed some light on what’s going on.

I have this logger configure:

logger:
  default: error
  logs:
    homeassistant.components.sensor.mitemp_bt: critical
    homeassistant.components: critical

BTW i installed timezonefinderL manually and it seems all was going right. Now i must restart and upgrade to 2.5.0 and see what happens…

Ok, the default log level of error was probably preventing useful diagnostics (of levels WARNING, INFO and DEBUG, at least.) When you’re having issues like this you should probably change the default level to DEBUG.

Good to hear it may be working now. If you have any other problems, let me know (and set the default log level to DEBUG :wink:.)

It has come to my attention that the custom updater may have a bug that prevents it from properly updating my life360 custom platform starting with version 2.4.0. If you have been affected by this, please add an issue (or comment on an existing one, if there is one) on the custom updater issue page here.

FWIW, it appears it is not properly parsing the REQUIREMENTS statement in life360.py.

EDIT: Issue has been fixed in latest custom updater.

I’m having a problem showing my current location. When I click on my map, I can see the 2 zones I created in the Life360 app come through, but I can’t see my location. Below is my confuration.yaml, can someone please help me with what I’m missing?

device_tracker:
  • platform: life360
    username: XXXXXX
    password: XXXXXX
    prefix: life360
    show_as_state: driving, moving, places
    home_place: Home
    driving_speed: 18
    max_gps_accuracy: 200
    time_as: local
    members:
    • First, Last
      interval_seconds: 10
      add_zones: true
      zone_interval:
      minutes: 15
      filename: life360.conf
      warning_threshold: 1
      error_threshold: 2

Please format your configuration following the instructions at the top of the page so that it can be properly read.

My guess, however, is that you are specifying a member name that doesn’t exist. (Is your name in Life360 literally “First Last”?) Check your logs - do you see an error message, e.g., “No listed member names were valid”? You should probably remove the members config option.

Or did you use your actual name in the member field (and just change it for the post?)

In any case, it would be helpful to see the messages the platform writes to the log. If you can, try this search:

grep 'custom_components\.device_tracker\.life360' home-assistant.log

Also make sure the logging level is set to debug.

The First, Last was just for the post. I have my actual name in there.

I added a badge on my main screen last night with the entity ‘device_tracker.life360_first_last’ and the badge shows my name and that I’m home. So maybe it’s working?

I still don’t see anything on the map. Is that because I’m in a “Home” zone and will only show up after I leave a zone?

Also I’m new to the home assistant. I tried typing in the above in Putty in 1 line and received “No such file or directory”. I know the directory exists because I just looked at it, so I assume I was putting something in Putty wrong

Yes, it’s because you’re home. Actually, I meant to mention that. See details here.

Were you “in” the directory that contains the file home-assistant.log when you typed that command? If you type “ls”, do you see home-assistant.log? If so, the command should have worked.

I can’t seem to get the log to work. See below and maybe you can see what I’m doing wrong

The command is lower case L and lower case S. It’s the standard Linux command to list the directory.

It seems you’re using hassio. I don’t use that so I’m not sure what affect it has on this. But I think I’ve seen where people have said configuration.yaml (and hence home-assistant.log) is in /config. So maybe you need to do:

cd /config
ls
grep 'custom_components\.device_tracker\.life360' home-assistant.log

Just confirming that your advice is correct for Hassio users. The initial directory is root.

pwd
/root
ls
addons backup config share ssl
cd config
ls *.log
home-assistant.log
grep ‘custom_components.device_tracker.life360’ home-assistant.log

2019-01-29 17:00:57 ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [custom_components.device_tracker.life360] get_circles: HTTPError: 502 Server Error: Bad Gateway for url: https://api.life360.com/v3/circles.json
2019-01-29 17:12:41 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.device_tracker.life360] get_circle "Family": HTTPError: 504 Server Error: GATEWAY_TIMEOUT for url: https://api.life360.com/v3/circles/f3cf1e2a-00e8-4f25-b699-9eceaec6b78d/members
2019-01-29 17:16:00 ERROR (SyncWorker_12) [custom_components.device_tracker.life360] get_circles: HTTPError: 502 Server Error: Bad Gateway for url: https://api.life360.com/v3/circles.json
2019-01-29 17:21:01 ERROR (SyncWorker_17) [custom_components.device_tracker.life360] get_circles: Suppressing further errors until OK: HTTPError: 502 Server Error: Bad Gateway for url: https://api.life360.com/v3/circles.json
2019-01-29 17:26:02 ERROR (SyncWorker_15) [custom_components.device_tracker.life360] get_circles: OK again

P.S. I get these errors a lot, and just ignore them.

Me, too. Did you see the 2.5.0 release that added more filtering that can prevent these “usual” errors from cluttering the log, yet still let “unusual” errors be shown?

Yes, Thanks. I’m aware of this filter improvement in 2.5. However, for now, I’m sticking with your older “Lite360” component that does everything I need :wink:

1 Like

Hi, can I ask a bit of help with the below error message I get after every restart? I have tried restarting my hassio plenty of times, but it just can’t finish the setup. Thanks

2019-02-04 21:24:32 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom component for custom_updater which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.
2019-02-04 21:24:37 ERROR (SyncWorker_17) [custom_components.device_tracker.life360] HTTPError: 403 Client Error: Forbidden for url: https://api.life360.com/v3/circles.json
2019-02-04 21:24:37 ERROR (SyncWorker_17) [custom_components.device_tracker.life360] Life360 communication failed!
2019-02-04 21:24:37 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Error setting up platform life360

Hi! I have just downloaded the Life360 .zip from your GitHub.
As I understand it, there should be two Life360.py files, however, I can only find one - in the custom_components/device_tracker folder!
Where would I find the first of the two files, please?

the component has changed and only the one file is required now

2 Likes

I probably shouldn’t have asked about the size of the packages and nobody would have probably ever noticed. :wink:

1 Like

You probably have the username and/or password entered incorrectly in your life360 configuration. It must match exactly what you use to log into their app and/or website.

There is only one. The posts early in this topic are out of date, but unfortunately the forum won’t let me update them anymore. Please refer to the documentation for installation and use instructions.