Life360 Device Tracker Platform

I was thinking the same thing but I’m not knowledgeable on this stuff so I just left it at that.

Precisely because you can’t add that functionality to the other device trackers is why it shouldn’t be part of the standard Life360 tracker. The state of a device tracker in HA is either ‘home’, ‘not_home’, or a HA zone name. Is ‘driving’ a HA zone name? Or is it this weird state that the Life360 tracker can be in when it’s configured in a non-default way? What if one of my family members worked at a golf driving range and I had a HA zone named ‘driving’?

I’m sorry, but I don’t agree with your argument. If someone doesn’t like the feature, they can simply not use it. Also, if someone that wanted to use it had that scenario, then they could change their Life360 Place’s name from “driving” to “golf”.

I do like consistency, but there are plenty of examples in HA where things are not consistent. We’re not talking about dreaming up a new feature here. We’re talking about something that has existed for over a year that many people find useful.

Now, having said all that, if it can be implemented at the person level, then that makes more sense because then the feature could be used no matter which device tracker integration(s) were being used.

1 Like

I would assume he was thinking about another way to do it, such as calculating the distance between GPS updates and using that and the time to determine speed, which could then be converted to a state like moving or driving.

I agree with all of that.

I just hope it is implemented in a reasonable amount of time. There are more than enough “that’s a really great idea” items that have been in the queue for a LONG time and haven’t seen any traction. I fear that this one would be lumped into the same category as those.

Hi Phil,

thanks for the update. It’s somewhat surprising though, since that wouldn’t be possible at all, if the Life360 integration wouldn’t offer that…
Since the Person integration isn’t yet at the same level as the CC Composite, I am afraid this sounds not as promising as I would have hoped for.

upscaling these components once they’re official integrations seems a long and winding process, and, check eg the Hue integration, has left many many users rather disappointed tbh. I can see users wanting to keep the CC life360 next to the official one as long as it will be possible. Have secured that in my setup.

It’s beyond me why the dev’s would hold to this strategy.

not aware of this discussion, where can we find that. Is there a third medium besides the community and the GitHub to discuss these kind of things? Always thought the Discord was the dev’s internal community, not open for the public discussion?

which of course is much easier than simply setting show_as_state: driving, moving …

1 Like

Latest response in Discord sounds promising.

balloob Today at 7:01 PM
@pnbruckner we should be able to get something worked out before 95. Can you open arch issue for this
Probably a new activity property on entity and state is activity, then location else away/home

1 Like

That sounds great to me!

All I can say is that I was making changes to the Life360 section and to an automation section relating to my Google_Say, doing restarts of the services after each change.

Prior to last night, my Life360 section read:

device_tracker:
  - platform: fritz
    host: 192.168.178.1

- platform: life360
    username: I_Did_Have_My_Email_Address_Here
    password: I_Did_Have_My_Password_Here
    prefix: Life360
#    show_as_state: driving, moving, places
#    driving_speed: 18
    add_zones: true

My current section reads as follows:

device_tracker:
  - platform: fritz
    host: 192.168.178.1

- platform: life360
    username: !secret life360_username
    password: !secret life360_password
    prefix: life360
#    show_as_state: driving, moving, places
#    driving_speed: 18
#    add_zones: true
    add_zones: all
    home_place: Home

logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    custom_components.life360: debug

I remember the first thing changed was “add_zones” was changed from “true” to “all” and then a restart of services.

I then did the 3 new files in \HASSBIAN\homeassistant\custom_components\life360 after putting what was there into a sub-directory called “Backup”. I’m sure I did a restart of services after this.

From memory, the next thing I did was move my username and password to the secrets.yaml file, and this was done using cut and paste. The username and password were definitely correct anyhow as it used to work when I first set it up back in December last year and I haven’t changed my username/password.

I think I did a restart of services here.

The last 2 things I did was add the Home_Place and the logs section, but can’t remember if both were done at the same time before a restart or one at a time.

That’s all the changes I made in relation to Life360. Prior to that I was working on the volume issue with Google_Say.

All I know is it’s now working, so I’m happy.

Okay. That’s the 3 parts I did after copying what was already in that directory to a backup folder. In my reply to that post, I didn’t realise that these 3 files were how it was updated to 2.10.1 as I thought it was something I either had to PuTTY into my pi and run commands to do, or to add this “custom updater” section.

Yes. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Hi! Does Life360 Device Tracker Platform work/integrate with HACS (Home Assistant Community Store)?
https://custom-components.github.io/hacs/

If ‘Yes’, then how?
Thanks!

Just heared Life360 will be included in a future Home Assistant version. Can someone verify this?

It’s already in 0.95.0b0. If you don’t use betas, then it will be in 0.95.0.

1 Like

No. And since it’s now a standard integration, I have no plans to add HACS support to the custom integration.

thank you for your effort, @pnbruckner

FYI, PR submitted to add show_as_state config var (with options for driving and moving):

6 Likes

Very cool, thanks!

@pnbruncker so good thanks for all your efforts to get this as a standard compenent in 0.95, FYI running 0.95.0b1 with no problems legendary effort thank you :smiley:

2 Likes

I can confirm that show_as_state: is working perfectly in 0.95 beta 2.

Thanks a bunch for restoring this feature and the excellent work on the standard integration :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, Phil. I didn’t know that Life360 was now a standard integration. I’ll amend accordingly.
Thanks for your ongoing efforts - much appreciated!

1 Like