Life360 Device Tracker Platform

Yes. Restart HA. There seems to be a bug somewhere that causes the device_tracker’s not to be set to the correct state after first setting this up. I suspect the bug is somewhere in the common device_tracker code, but haven’t tried to debug it. Clearly life360 is providing the correct GPS location, so there’s nothing more it can do. If the state is wrong then it has to be something the common device_tracker code is doing wrong. But from my own experience, and from a couple of other people who have reported the same thing, restarting HA seems to fix it and it doesn’t seem to come back.

Did a restart but same result. Will try a reboot when I get home.

I have restarted hassio several times, set my home lat and long to the same values reported by life360 and result is the same when my wife is home and life360 dev_state shows place as home but state is away.

Not sure what to try next.

Last night with some great help from pnbruckner and SeanM we were able to locate the problem. My lat and long in my configuration was off by enough to cause the error. The old integration worked but the new is I guess more accurate. The thing that made is clear was when pnruckner asked where the people icons were showing in the front end MAP. I’d never used this but when I updated my configuration with MAP it became very clear that home was in the wrong place.

Thanks again to all that helped me get this resolved.

1 Like

Just bumping in here for a quick question.
Do you know on the tip of your tongue how i can in my integrations page have an entry listed where it says I am logged in, but not have any indication anywhere else that the life360 even exists in my system?
No entity_id, no errors in the logs or anything.
Its only there.
And my credentials are correct I might add.

tempsnip

In my config\.storage\core.config_entries I have this listed though (obviously where the information is stored, but it’s everything I have to share, to give some pointer to my problem)

{
                "connection_class": "cloud_poll",
                "data": {
                    "authorization": "Bearer NiuhWQ0MDUtNtfgfYhggG4jwNjU5ODQ5Mjc1",
                    "password": "MYPASSWORD",
                    "username": "[email protected]"
                },
                "domain": "life360",
                "entry_id": "9851f885204a4fdd8b5c4746c953889a",
                "options": {},
                "source": "import",
                "title": "[email protected] (from configuration)",
                "version": 1
            }

I have been using the custom component before, way back.
But since then I have moved, and I haven’t reused any configuration in my new setup, so I’m having a hard time believing it could be the custom component that is haunting me here.
Any ideas?

Best Regards
Baskedk

EDIT:
Just realized that i ofc had the config entry to share to, so here you go :slight_smile:

life360:
  accounts:
    - username: [email protected]
      password: MYPASSWORD

LOL! Typical me!
I finally pull myself together and write for help to figure out what I have done wrong, and i immediately figure out what it was…
I had totally forgot about the known_devices.yaml file…
And in that I have set to NOT track new devices…
DO’H!
Thanks anyway!

Yes, that would do it. In fact, that was what I was going to ask about. It seems fairly common for people to set track_new_devices to false, especially when using network based trackers.

BTW, you might want to change your Life360 password. You shared the authorization token above which is generated from your username and password and will allow anyone to access your account. Delete the life360 integration, change your password with Life360, update the password in your config and then restart HA.

Thanks for the heads up.
It is done

Hi
did anyone get problem with life360 tracker and pi-hole?
When pi-hole addon is enabled, tracker is not working, when I disable it, tracker works.
But funny thing is, pi-hole is reporting life 360 queries, but it didn’t block them

So it seems phone is able to update his location to life 360, but HA is unable to get that information?
I don’t see any other entries for life 360 and have no idea what to do to make these two work together because I like them both so much :slight_smile:

I am running Pi-Hole as a separate VM and the and the Life360 feature works great. I was rebooting Hass-io a ton for awhile while working on projects. Having DNS bounce constantly caused Issues for the rest of the people in the house so I built a VM for it. It works great.

1 Like

I got this exact error when I had AdGuard enabled when I tried to add Life360 from the integration page

hi, using this since today, working really great
but i just have a small cosmetical issue
the default states in HA are like Home and Away , with capital
the states from life360 (moving/driving) are in lower capital
doesnt look nice on my card :slight_smile:
its a small cosmetical thing, but how can i resolve that ?

Before the integration was submitted to become a standard integration those states were capitalized. However in order to get it accepted I was required to change them to all lower case.

FWIW, the states are actually home and not_home, not “Home” and “Away.” The latter is what the frontend shows. So this is really a frontend issue.

ow ok, so nothing we can do about it?

maybe i can create an issue on github? so its related to HA frontend then ?

issue created : https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/25947

Do you have any plans to bring back importing the places directly from Life360?

No, this was a point of contention when standardizing the integration. Although creating/updating most zones could probably be implemented in an accepted way, updating zone.home was verboten, which is the main reason for having the feature, IMHO. And even though there is now a service for updating zone.home's location (i.e., home_assistant.set_location), there is no provision for updating the radius, so even that wouldn’t work.

Would they allow updating all places except for zone.home?

@pnbruckner

Hey Phil

Sorry to bother you and I am sure you have already had this questions however I cannot find the answers
I have also removed the Life360 Folder from Custom_components and upgraded HA as normal. Unfortunately I keen getting this error message? with normally 7-10 errors and they keep coming

'ReadTimeoutError("HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.life360.com', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=3.05)")': /v3/circles.json

Hope you can help
Cheers
Bruce

It happens, sometimes more often than other times. If the trackers still update, then just consider it normal. You might want to increase the error threshold if you find the errors in the log annoying. But if the trackers never update, and it says suppressing until ok, and you never see ok, then that’s another story.

@pnbruckner
Thanks Phil. Tracker is working fine I am just trying to eliminate errors from the log to fault find. My Pi running hassio has gone from 8% normal usage to over 23% since upgrading to 97.2 . So now my Pi is saying overheating. So just trying to work out what errors if any could be causing this increase in processor usage
Thanks heaps Phil

I love this new integration, but (there is always a but). I got a strange problem which i cannot seem to resolve. All attributes gets updated when i’m away from “home” or “work” except the “address” and “place”. They return a none value the whole time.

I can see that the Life360 app gets updated on my phone and also shows the correct location, but it doesn’t seem to push the address and location to HA. They only correct my home place and workplace (and other defined places). But when on the move or sitting somewhere it shows up with a none value

There are no errors in my HA so i can’t seem to pinpoint the issue here. Anybody got an idea?. Tried it with the official integration, and through the config.

See config below HA version 0.97.2

life360:
  accounts:
    - username: !secret life360_username
      password: !secret life360_password
  driving_speed: 10
  interval_seconds: 10
  max_gps_accuracy: 150
  max_update_wait:
    minutes: 45
  show_as_state:
    - driving